edible books and tea (2)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2005
      To inspire and help book artists and book lovers who're considering cooking up a book

      for the Los Angeles Book Arts Center's annual Edible Book Tea Party on Saturday,

      April 2, we're sending out these weekly updates and tips on creating edible books.

      Our purpose is to celebrate the book arts - there is no competition or judging, just the

      joy of creating your own book and taking in the imagination of your fellow book lovers.

      Last year, our youngest participant was 5 years old - a testament to the inspiration that

      books have on our lives - and if she can do it, so can you!

      TIP FOR WEEK 2

      This week, we're going to look at how to create your work of art out of food.

      Now that you've selected a specific book and a specific character, scene or theme to

      illustrate, think about books in general and how you'll turn your chosen one into art.

      * Will you be focusing on the book cover?

      * Opening the book and designing a 3-D two-page spread?

      * Perhaps you want to release your characters, scene or theme into a different form -

      turn it into a mobile, a miniature garden, or that item of clothing that always reminds you

      of your character?

      Whatever form your book takes, the ingredients won't be paper, ink, cardboard and

      glue. Remember, we've got to be able to "read" your book and eat it, too! Every item

      you choose must be edible, tasty and capable of sitting around outside a 'fridge for at

      least five hours.

      So, let's take a trip to the market and think about the following:

      * Are some foods Romantic? Mysterious? Silly? Scary?

      * Do some foods remind you of your character, theme, or the era of your story?

      * What foods are the colors you're interested in using?

      * Which food shapes reflect the ideas you want to convey?

      * Which condiments can help out? Baking sprinkles? Mustard as a "glue"?

      When you've got a short ingredient list going, here's some more things to think about:

      * Do these foods have similar flavors in common? Will they work together not just

      visually, but as tastes? (Do you really want to eat a seaweed flag with a gumdrop emblem

      on it? Using marshmallow fluff as a glue is a great idea, but perhaps not with fish-flavored

      * Will each food item be fun to work with? Will it "last" for the event?

      * Will you need any special tools or molds, or to do any pre-cooking for the ingredient?

      It's time to pull together your list of ingredients - with some potential back-ups - because

      next week, we're going to do a trial run!

      Whether you're thinking about bringing an entry, or just want to join the celebration,

      here's more information on the Edible Book Tea Party and a sign-up form, if you're

      planning to bring an entry on April 2.

      Remember, it's FREE to enter and attend, though it will help us to know how many

      entries to expect on the day. Thank You!

      WHO: YOU & The Los Angeles Book Arts Center

      WHAT: The Edible Book Tea Party

      WHEN: Saturday, April 2, 2005

      WHERE: Plummer Park Recreation Center, 7377 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood

      WHY: To have fun and celebrate the book arts in all its entertaining and delicious forms!

      EVENT DETAILS: Set-up for participants with edible books NOON - 1:30 p.m.

      Open to public viewing 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.

      Tea Party - eat the books! 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.

      Your Name:

      Your E-mail:

      (LABAC will not give out your e-mail address or other information)

      Your address:

      Your phone:

      Title of your entry:

      Book & author your entry is based upon:

      For more information, or to register your entry via phone, please contact Lisa Deutsch at

      310-657-2616, or LAGourmet@....

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Yahoo! Groups Links