Check out the Christmas trees at Anthropologie

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
      I walked into Anthropologie (on the corner of State and Canon Perdido
      in S.B.) the other day and was amazed by what I saw. Their display
      manager created "Christmas trees" from pages torn out of old books
      and layered on a conical form. I'm talking big "trees" - not just
      tabletop versions. Very clever! They also have a "jacket" and a
      "skirt" made from pages of books - as well as two "shingled roofs"
      made of old book covers. I told the salesclerk that I want to take
      photos of what they've done because I belong to a group of people
      involved in book arts and she was very intrigued. Be sure to take a
      look when you're downtown!

      Happy Holidays to you all. Hope to see you more often in 2005.

    • mjbohlen
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
        Where is S.B.?
        thanks,
        MJB
        On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:29:03 -0800
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
          Sorry - It's Santa Barbara, California. I think of this as a local
          list and forget that it's accessible to all. . .
          Pam

        • francesj14@cox.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
            Patricia:
            You are indeed fortunate for an experence you will
            treasure for years to come. I am sure you will find the
            experences there come into your books as many fond
            memeories. I am also sure you did not intend to stay
            there long term, and a year is a long time to soak up a
            culture a very different from ours. I think I would miss
            my family too much to go off for a year, perhap a few
            months would be all I could take.

            But a year does get you loads of stuff for your books.
            You must have incredible journals from your stay. Do
            keep us in touch with the Tuson group after you settle
            in. It is always nice to hear of new books and events
            from other groups that may put a spark in our butts...
            uh... brains.
            frances

            ..
            <patbooks@...>
            > Date: 2004/12/16 Thu AM 04:04:43 EST
            > To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [bookartsconnection] Hello from China...

          • mjbohlen
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 17, 2004
              Thanks.
              Sometime I would like to visit Santa Barbara. That is where I was
              BORN!! In 1944. My Dad was stationed out there but when he was sent
              overseas, he had my Mom move back to Boston. Now I am in Virginia, but
              my 3 children are in San Fran.
              I love making all kinds of books. It is so relaxing and gratifying.

              Mary Jane

              On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:20:27 -0800
            • francesj14@cox.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 21, 2004
                Pam:
                I finally took a break and went over to the store
                Anthropologie and what a pleasant surprise. not only
                did they have the tree of books, shingled top, and dress
                and top made from a book, they had a slew of large
                letter forms both in fabric covered and as metal hooks.
                nice small gift books. Here I thought they were a dress
                shop. Looks like they decided to cater to the large local
                book lovers crowd this year. thanks for the tip. I do
                have to say the borders was a disappointmnet - seems
                they are down sizing with fewer book selections, wider
                walkways and fewer exhibits, shorter lines at the
                register.... hmmm...
                frances