Hello from China...

  • Patrice Baldwin
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
      Y'all:

      Well, it's been just about a year since I left California for China.
      It has been an extraordinary experience teaching Western Book Arts in
      three schools here, but it's time to move on.

      China is a difficult place for a westerner to live in. Nothing is
      familiar, not the language, not the habits and reactions of people,
      not the way things are done. One has to have help doing the simplest
      of things. I feel uncomfortable being stared at constantly... the
      Chinese natural curiousity (even about each other) is everywhere, and
      foreigners especially ALWAYS gather a crowd whatever they're doing.
      It's unnerving at times. I long for anonymity now.

      I've met some wonderful people, however, and hope to keep them as
      friends through email for a long time. I'll be flying out of Shanghai
      on January 10th for Tucson AZ for a week and then on the Austin TX
      where my kids now live. I'll spend the summer there, and in the fall
      back in business by winter. Tucson has a big paper and book arts
      community and I have many friends there. I hope to become part of
      that melieu soon. I miss the great group in Santa Barbara, but can't
      afford to live in CA any more.

      All of you have a wonderful holiday season and a great new year!!

      Patrice Baldwin
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
        I walked into Anthropologie (on the corner of State and Canon Perdido
        in S.B.) the other day and was amazed by what I saw. Their display
        manager created "Christmas trees" from pages torn out of old books
        and layered on a conical form. I'm talking big "trees" - not just
        tabletop versions. Very clever! They also have a "jacket" and a
        "skirt" made from pages of books - as well as two "shingled roofs"
        made of old book covers. I told the salesclerk that I want to take
        photos of what they've done because I belong to a group of people
        involved in book arts and she was very intrigued. Be sure to take a
        look when you're downtown!

        Happy Holidays to you all. Hope to see you more often in 2005.

      • mjbohlen
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
          Where is S.B.?
          thanks,
          MJB
          On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:29:03 -0800
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
            Sorry - It's Santa Barbara, California. I think of this as a local
            list and forget that it's accessible to all. . .
            Pam

          • francesj14@cox.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
              Patricia:
              You are indeed fortunate for an experence you will
              treasure for years to come. I am sure you will find the
              experences there come into your books as many fond
              memeories. I am also sure you did not intend to stay
              there long term, and a year is a long time to soak up a
              culture a very different from ours. I think I would miss
              my family too much to go off for a year, perhap a few
              months would be all I could take.

              But a year does get you loads of stuff for your books.
              You must have incredible journals from your stay. Do
              keep us in touch with the Tuson group after you settle
              in. It is always nice to hear of new books and events
              from other groups that may put a spark in our butts...
              uh... brains.
              frances

              ..
              <patbooks@...>
              > Date: 2004/12/16 Thu AM 04:04:43 EST
              > To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [bookartsconnection] Hello from China...

            • mjbohlen
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 17, 2004
                Thanks.
                Sometime I would like to visit Santa Barbara. That is where I was
                BORN!! In 1944. My Dad was stationed out there but when he was sent
                overseas, he had my Mom move back to Boston. Now I am in Virginia, but
                my 3 children are in San Fran.
                I love making all kinds of books. It is so relaxing and gratifying.

                Mary Jane

                On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:20:27 -0800
              • francesj14@cox.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 21, 2004
                  Pam:
                  I finally took a break and went over to the store
                  Anthropologie and what a pleasant surprise. not only
                  did they have the tree of books, shingled top, and dress
                  and top made from a book, they had a slew of large
                  letter forms both in fabric covered and as metal hooks.
                  nice small gift books. Here I thought they were a dress
                  shop. Looks like they decided to cater to the large local
                  book lovers crowd this year. thanks for the tip. I do
                  have to say the borders was a disappointmnet - seems
                  they are down sizing with fewer book selections, wider
                  walkways and fewer exhibits, shorter lines at the
                  register.... hmmm...
                  frances
                  > From: Pam Maines <pam@...>
                  > Date: 2004/12/16 Thu AM 11:29:03 EST