SB Book Fest a Blast!

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 2004
      I had a great time at the Santa Barbara Book Festival and plan to do it again next year: it is great networking, I really like book people in general, and most everyone there sold their work. Although Sara Norquay and Ines Monguio couldn't come in person their books were much admired.

      Pam Maines very sweetly made a great keepsake on her letterpress and we gave them all out and could have given away more. Thank you Pam!

      I learned a lot watching my fellow booth mates- Elena Siff, Kathleen Mar, and Sally Bailey - promote their work and explain what book arts is all about. I realized I need to work on my books to have them in such a public space: mine need to be sturdier and more easily handled. I also want to make the covers more illustrative of the contents. It was a great crash course in how a wide range of people approach something they don't know and get familiar with it: books that succeed are touchable, movable, and colorful.

      Let me know if you think you would be interested in sharing a booth next year. We can have as many booths as there are people to pay for them. The group that runs this festival does a great job publicizing it and making particiaption easy for everyone.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 21, 2004
        I thought the Book Fest was the best yet and the Book Arts Connection
        booth was the most creative, most colorful of all. The work on
        display was beautiful and I suspect alot of people will be looking
        for it to be there next year. We planted the seeds this year - next
        year, people will remember and come looking for something to buy as a
        special gift for a friend or for themselves. Thanks for doing all
        the coordination, Jill!

        Pam

        P.S. I also ordered the pop-up book to add to my collection of
        Sabuda's work and others. I wish I could get to San Diego for the Ed
        Hutchins lecture and the two exhibits happening there. . .

      • sally timlin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 21, 2004
          Hello Everyone,

          Just wanted to let you all know that Adult Ed's Book Arts & Beyond (Mondays 6-9pm) was cancelled due to low enrollment. I'm now holding the class privately on Modays from 6-8 pm at Maravilla Retirement Community. It's $10/session and we'll be making some really fun book structures including: art doll books, shrinky dink books, altered books, board books, exquisite corpse collaborative books, and coptic stitch books with wrapped signatures, plus a book exchange!

          Also, Book Art Creations is in jeopardy of being cancelled as well. This Adult Ed. class meets at Valle Verde Retirement Community on Fridays from 9-12. We'll be making a new book structure every week including: a double signature book with a twist, concertina with pockets in a homemade matchbox, a plethora of single page flutter books, an interstate highway book, flag book, side-bound book with a wraparound cover, Star tunnel book, and a piano hinge book. All this for a mere ten dollars!

          If you're interested in either or both of these classes, please feel free to shoot me an e-mail or just drop in. Book Arts & Beyond will not be meeting on September 27th but will resume the following week on October 4th. Hope to see you there!

          Sally Timlin

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
            Yes. Jill again has done an incredible amount and quality of work. I am
            sorry I missed it, but I sign up for next year again, hoping there will be
            no conflict then.

            Ines
            > I thought the Book Fest was the best yet and the Book Arts Connection
            > booth was the most creative, most colorful of all. The work on
            > display was beautiful and I suspect alot of people will be looking
            > for it to be there next year. We planted the seeds this year - next
            > year, people will remember and come looking for something to buy as a
            > special gift for a friend or for themselves. Thanks for doing all
            > the coordination, Jill!
            >
            > Pam
            >
            > P.S. I also ordered the pop-up book to add to my collection of
            > Sabuda's work and others. I wish I could get to San Diego for the Ed
            > Hutchins lecture and the two exhibits happening there. . .
            > --

            > Pam Maines
            > pam@...
            > 805-964-6742

          • Barbara Bartolome
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 22, 2004
              Hi Sally,

              I just wanted to offer you my store as a location to hold your book
              arts classes. My comfortable classroom currently seats 11 people as
              I've got a computer station set up in my 12th seat. I've got close-by
              parking, great handicapped access and a bathroom. People can "run a
              tab" if they want to buy anything during the evening, plus I'll be happy
              to give your current and future students a 15% discount just by
              mentioning that I said they could receive it by virtue of being in your
              classes.

              If you hold the classes during the hours that we're already open, I
              don't expect any compensation for your use of the classroom. If you
              want us to extend our hours, I'd have to talk with you about how we
              could cover the expense of paying an employee to stay. We're currently
              open 10AM-7PM Mon-Sat, and 12PM-5PM on Sundays. We have Friday Fun
              Nites until midnight every Friday night, and I donate a Saturday night
              fundraiser workshop to any school, non-profit, children's or sports
              group that asks me, so both of those nights would usually not be
              available. I have a class schedule of our other classes on our counter
              at the store, or you can view it on my website at www.SBscrapbooks.com
              <http://www.SBscrapbooks.com> . So, if you choose days we're not
              scheduled for other things, I'd be happy to let you use the workshop. I
              just hope to promote paper arts and help people to have fun!

              Feel free to call me anytime and we'll see what we can work out.

              Warmly,

              Barbara

              Barbara Bartolomé
              Santa Barbara Scrapbooks
              918 Chapala Street
              Santa Barbara CA 93101
              805-962-5099
              805-962-1109 FAX
              Barbara@...
              www.SBscrapbooks.com

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129frc7ar/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
              D=groups/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1095881829/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*htt
              p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
              s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=989245108>

              _____