Hello from China...

  • Patrice Baldwin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 13, 2004
      Greetings all you busy book people:

      I'm still here in China teaching Western Book Arts. I'm now in
      Huzhou, about 2 hours west of Shanghai, at Huzhou University. I have
      a great class of artists learning how to keep their fingers clean
      when turning in a cover and cutting book board STRAIGHT. We have
      to 'do with' whatever we can get to substitute for the real thing,
      but it's amazing how anything will do for a bone folder or book
      board.

      I had a great time at Hebei University for the semester, but I wanted
      to see more of China, so I spent the summer teaching at the Caihong
      School near Xi'an (where the terra cotta warriers are). Now I've
      moved a bit west, probably for a semester, but I don't know exactly
      how long. I'm not making any long term decisions, and not buying any
      green bananas either.

      China is fascinating, frustrating and beautiful. The language isn't
      such a problem when I can mime and wave my hands a lot. But choosing
      something from a completely untelligible menu is sometimes a problem.
      I've picked some really strange things by the close-eyes-and-point
      method. But always interesting!... if not edible.

      Take care, y'all,

      Patrice Baldwin
    • Patrice Baldwin
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
        Y'all:

        Well, it's been just about a year since I left California for China.
        It has been an extraordinary experience teaching Western Book Arts in
        three schools here, but it's time to move on.

        China is a difficult place for a westerner to live in. Nothing is
        familiar, not the language, not the habits and reactions of people,
        not the way things are done. One has to have help doing the simplest
        of things. I feel uncomfortable being stared at constantly... the
        Chinese natural curiousity (even about each other) is everywhere, and
        foreigners especially ALWAYS gather a crowd whatever they're doing.
        It's unnerving at times. I long for anonymity now.

        I've met some wonderful people, however, and hope to keep them as
        friends through email for a long time. I'll be flying out of Shanghai
        on January 10th for Tucson AZ for a week and then on the Austin TX
        where my kids now live. I'll spend the summer there, and in the fall
        back in business by winter. Tucson has a big paper and book arts
        community and I have many friends there. I hope to become part of
        that melieu soon. I miss the great group in Santa Barbara, but can't
        afford to live in CA any more.

        All of you have a wonderful holiday season and a great new year!!

        Patrice Baldwin
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
          I walked into Anthropologie (on the corner of State and Canon Perdido
          in S.B.) the other day and was amazed by what I saw. Their display
          manager created "Christmas trees" from pages torn out of old books
          and layered on a conical form. I'm talking big "trees" - not just
          tabletop versions. Very clever! They also have a "jacket" and a
          "skirt" made from pages of books - as well as two "shingled roofs"
          made of old book covers. I told the salesclerk that I want to take
          photos of what they've done because I belong to a group of people
          involved in book arts and she was very intrigued. Be sure to take a
          look when you're downtown!

          Happy Holidays to you all. Hope to see you more often in 2005.

        • mjbohlen
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
            Where is S.B.?
            thanks,
            MJB
            On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:29:03 -0800
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
              Sorry - It's Santa Barbara, California. I think of this as a local
              list and forget that it's accessible to all. . .
              Pam

            • francesj14@cox.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 16, 2004
                Patricia:
                You are indeed fortunate for an experence you will
                treasure for years to come. I am sure you will find the
                experences there come into your books as many fond
                memeories. I am also sure you did not intend to stay
                there long term, and a year is a long time to soak up a
                culture a very different from ours. I think I would miss
                my family too much to go off for a year, perhap a few
                months would be all I could take.

                But a year does get you loads of stuff for your books.
                You must have incredible journals from your stay. Do
                keep us in touch with the Tuson group after you settle
                in. It is always nice to hear of new books and events
                from other groups that may put a spark in our butts...
                uh... brains.
                frances

                ..
                <patbooks@...>
                > Date: 2004/12/16 Thu AM 04:04:43 EST
                > To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [bookartsconnection] Hello from China...

              • mjbohlen
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 17, 2004
                  Thanks.
                  Sometime I would like to visit Santa Barbara. That is where I was
                  BORN!! In 1944. My Dad was stationed out there but when he was sent
                  overseas, he had my Mom move back to Boston. Now I am in Virginia, but
                  my 3 children are in San Fran.
                  I love making all kinds of books. It is so relaxing and gratifying.

                  Mary Jane

                  On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:20:27 -0800
                • francesj14@cox.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 21, 2004
                    Pam:
                    I finally took a break and went over to the store
                    Anthropologie and what a pleasant surprise. not only
                    did they have the tree of books, shingled top, and dress
                    and top made from a book, they had a slew of large
                    letter forms both in fabric covered and as metal hooks.
                    nice small gift books. Here I thought they were a dress
                    shop. Looks like they decided to cater to the large local
                    book lovers crowd this year. thanks for the tip. I do
                    have to say the borders was a disappointmnet - seems
                    they are down sizing with fewer book selections, wider
                    walkways and fewer exhibits, shorter lines at the
                    register.... hmmm...
                    frances
                    > From: Pam Maines <pam@...>
                    > Date: 2004/12/16 Thu AM 11:29:03 EST