May meeting

    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2002
      Hi - Jill here, back from a 3 week trip with my daughter looking at colleges. We drove from Boston to Chicago and had a blast. She chose Hampshire College in Amhurst, Mass., which had the distinction of being at the center of the largest number of bookstores anywhere in the U.S. There is one exclusively devoted to books of the weird. In addition, Hampshire College has the National Yiddish Book Center on its grounds and is building the Eric Carle Library of Children's Books. I can't wait to explore these when I go visit her.

      I like all of Lisa's ideas and am up for anything. I have a lead for the June meeting but will wait until it is confirmed.

      I found out that using "So Called Books" is confusing because it is too close to shows that are up and traveling so I will drop it. Perhaps this is the time to say we will have a yearly show and call this the First Annual Show of Book Artists on the Central Coast. It's clumsy but informative. Anyone have better ideas? I am preparing invitations so I am thinking about this now.

      I am glad the May meeting went so well - I was thinking of you as I visited Hollanders in Ann Arbor that afternoon. What a store! What would it take to have a resource like that here? Fabulous papers, book making supplies, cases filled with artists' books, a workshop area in the back -------- and all of it in a busy, pretty farmers market with heavenly smells wafting up. Buy marbled paper, get a cappucino, eat a tiny home made pie: it doesn't get better.

      Malone Dietrich dropped off two books before she left for Denmark and other people have been calling to make arrangements to come by and leave their books. So the show is up and running - I am getting excited by the possibilites. Remember it is open to anyone of any age and I especially want to encourage children to submit books and to come by and see the show. After hearing about the Eric Carle Library I got to thinking that what I would like to collect is books made by children. Think how inspiring that collection would be!

    • k.mar
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 2002
        Hi all, I don't feel so bad, I missed the posting too. I thought it was back at Jill's?
        Kathleen