survey of book artists

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2004
      I am a Graduate Student at the University of Maryland
      in the Master of Library Science Program. I am also a
      letterpress printer of five years. I am in a class
      this summer that focuses on the information behaviors,
      needs, and preferences of user groups. One of our
      projects is to conduct a survey with a particular user
      group. The user group I have chosen is Book Artists.
      Since I will soon be a Special Collections Librarian
      who hopes to collect artists' books, the following
      survey will help me to understand where Book Artists
      look for information, and how I, as a librarian, can
      make searching for information more accessible and
      easier.

      The following survey will only take a few minutes. I
      would deeply appreciate your assistance with my
      project. Your answers will remain confidential. Also,
      please email me off the listserve at:

      alliquam@...
      or
      aquam@...

      Thank you for your time.

      Sincerely,
      Allison Quam
      Graduate Assistant II
      Department of English
      University of Maryland

      Book Artist Survey

      1.What is your particular skill as a Book Artist?
      (Pick all that apply; delete those that do not)

      Letterpress Printer
      Bookbinder
      Calligrapher
      Illustrator (Relief, Intaglio, etc.)
      Paper-maker
      Other (please specify)

      2.Do you have an occupation other than Book Arts? What
      is the occupation?

      3.When you search for information about Book Arts,
      where do you look?

      Please choose one of the following numbers for each
      source: 1 through 5 or N/A, where 1 is Not Useful, and
      5 is Extremely Useful.

      Email 1 2 3 4 5 N/A
      Website/s 1 2 3 4 5 N/A
      Colleague 1 2 3 4 5 N/A
      Library 1 2 3 4 5 N/A
      Bookstore 1 2 3 4 5 N/A
      Other 1 2 3 4 5 N/A

      4. How many times do you consult these sources for
      information about Book Arts? Please pick one of the
      following for each source: Daily, Weekly, Monthly,
      Yearly, Less than Yearly.

      Email: Daily Weekly Monthly Yearly Less
      Website/s: Daily Weekly Monthly Yearly Less
      Colleague: Daily Weekly Monthly Yearly Less
      Library: Daily Weekly Monthly Yearly Less
      Bookstore: Daily Weekly Monthly Yearly Less
      Other: Daily Weekly Monthly Yearly Less

      5. If you use the library to find information, does
      that library have a collection of Artists' Books?

      6.If the library does collect Artists' Books, do you
      look at them: (please pick all that apply)

      For ideas for your own projects
      For research on a particular artist
      To see what other Book Artists are working on
      Other (Please Specify)

      7. What journals do you consult in regards to your
      Book Arts' projects?

      8. In order to look at the journals, do you:(Pick all
      that apply)

      Go to the library
      Have a subscription
      Other (please specify)

      9.Are there any other journals that you would like to
      consult for your projects?

      10. What Websites do you consult? (Please pick all
      that apply)

      Book Artists' Organizations
      Book Centers
      Bookstores
      Online Supply Stores
      Libraries
      Other (Please Specify)

      11. Are there are any Websites that you would like to
      see developed?

      Thank you.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      Spring[binding]Hath Sprung