Re: [bookartsconnection] Preserving newprint

  • francesj14@cox.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 4, 2004
      I am not sure if this works for all news papers as they
      do vary. but I do have newspapers saved from 30 yrs
      ago by simply keeping them in a plastic bag with
      baking soda sprinkled within its pages, and in a trunk.

      They have not yellowed but they seem to be more gray
      but not crumpled or fragile. I think it is because they
      were kept in the dark away from any sunlight. I think no
      sunlight and baking soda powder is the key. The
      baking soda does keeps the acid in control. Of course
      making copies is always as added insurance and a
      good idea.

      I have enjoyed going back and reading the news along
      side the reason I saved the paper and remember how
      things were so different then.

      frances

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 2004
        I remeber seeing a tip on that book that Pat had published with tips and
        resources. It involved soaking the newsprint in a solution of water and milk
        of magenesium, but I can't remeber proportions or times. Anyone? Patrice,
        are you still here in cyberspace?

        Ines
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2004
          What ever happened to that book that Pat was putting together?
          I never saw it. Did it ever get finished?
          Sharon
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 10, 2004
            Thanks to those of you who responded to my request for ideas for
            preserving newsprint; I've passed them along to my stepdaughter.