Re: [bookartsconnection] Preserving newprint

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 2004
      The only way I know of to preserve newsprint is to deacidify it with Wei'to
      or a similar buffering spray - Book Keeper is another one ( I have some so
      unless you have a lot to spray just bring the piece by and we'll de-acidify
      it). Then it should be encapsulated in mylar with archival double sided
      tape keeping the mylar together. Or put it in one of the acid free pages
      Light Impressions sells - which they have at any good photo shop around town
      (the advantage of Light Impressions as well as other conservation suppliers
      is the wealth of information in their catalogues).

      With newsprint, or any other acidic paper, you can never reverse the aging
      from acid attack but you can arrest it with these buffering agents so it is
      good to do something as quickly as possible. The plastic protections are to
      avoid deterioration from handling since newsprint is not a strong paper.

      When you laminate anything you enclose it and trap the acid along with the
      paper - it will continue to decay but the plastic will support it as it
      weakens. It all depends on how conservation minded you want to be -
      conservators consider the best solutions to be reversable so they go for
      de-acidifying and enclosing in a reversable way, which laminating is not.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 2004
        I am not sure if this works for all news papers as they
        do vary. but I do have newspapers saved from 30 yrs
        ago by simply keeping them in a plastic bag with
        baking soda sprinkled within its pages, and in a trunk.

        They have not yellowed but they seem to be more gray
        but not crumpled or fragile. I think it is because they
        were kept in the dark away from any sunlight. I think no
        sunlight and baking soda powder is the key. The
        baking soda does keeps the acid in control. Of course
        making copies is always as added insurance and a
        good idea.

        I have enjoyed going back and reading the news along
        side the reason I saved the paper and remember how
        things were so different then.

        frances

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2004
          I remeber seeing a tip on that book that Pat had published with tips and
          resources. It involved soaking the newsprint in a solution of water and milk
          of magenesium, but I can't remeber proportions or times. Anyone? Patrice,
          are you still here in cyberspace?

          Ines

        • askengel@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2004
            What ever happened to that book that Pat was putting together?
            I never saw it. Did it ever get finished?
            Sharon
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 10, 2004
              Thanks to those of you who responded to my request for ideas for
              preserving newsprint; I've passed them along to my stepdaughter.