882Fw: World of Washi Newsletter from Hiromi Paper Int'l

    Jan 3, 2004
      From: "maillist" <maillist@...>
      To: <jill@...>
      Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 3:47 PM
      Subject: World of Washi Newsletter from Hiromi Paper Int'l

      > Greetings, everybody!
      > We hope you had a wonderful vacation.
      > Here is our current newsletter you can enjoy!

      > 1) Message from the editors
      > 2) HPI 2004 Catalogue
      > 3) Goodbye
      > 4) 2004 Washi Tour
      > 5) Sizing Washi at the SGC Conference in 2004!
      > 6) New Papers
      > 7) Essay: Elegies:...to the words unspoken..... by Donna Ruff
      > 8) A Few Notes on Collage.........compiled by Bruce Meade
      > 9) Upcoming workshops
      > 10) Kochi International Triennial.......Exhibition of Prints - 2005
      >

      > ...........................1) Message from the
      editors:............................

      > Dear Member's Circle: Hello and happy holidays to all of you, as we are
      putting this newsletter together. Thank you for your support!

      > ...................2) HPI 2004 Catalogue - New and
      improved!................

      > Our 2004 edition catalogue is currently at the printers and will be out
      soon. We have made this edition of the catalogue larger (8.5 x 11") and you
      will find all of the information you need for your selection of Washi right
      at your fingertips. We have added several new sections and have divided the
      Conservation and Fine art paper sections, making it easier for you to find
      the suitable washi for your specific project. It will be available to PI
      Members at NO cost, by request.

      > ........................3)
      Goodbye:............................................................

      > As the year begins we say goodbye to Silvia Capistran who has been with us
      for almost three years and has had the opportunity to assist many of you
      with your paper orders. You also might have met her at past SGC and AIC
      trade shows. We wish her well in her new endeavors.

      > "My time working alongside Hiromi has definitely been very rewarding, I
      have had the opportunity to travel to exciting places, meet wonderful
      people, work with the nicest co-worders, and have learned a wealth about
      Washi. I will miss it all. S.C.

      > ..........................4) 2004 Washi
      Tour!..........................................

      > Our first tour has created quite a lot of interest. It filled up very
      fast and is now closed. We received so many calls for participation that we
      have tentatively decided to plan one for 2005 tailored to artists who want
      to learn about papermaking . Please check back with us for further
      information.

      > .............5) Sizing Washi at the SGC Conference in 2004!.............
      >
      > The next Southern Graphics Council meeting will be held in New Jersey.
      This year, HPI will be having a demonstration on sizing Japanese paper. If
      you will be attending or are local to NJ, look for us in the exhibitors
      section and stop by to learn how to size your washi papers. The materials
      will be available for purchase, and are now in stock at HPI!

      > When: SGC: March 17th and 18th, 2004
      > Mhere: Mason Gross School of the Arts Rutgers and Visual Arts, New
      Brunswick, NJ.

      > Sizing Materials:
      > MYOBAN: Sizing.....50g....$5.00
      > NIKAWA: Animal glue...100g...$20.00
      >
      > .....................6) New
      Papers:..........................................

      > Goyu and Hosho
      > We have just added three very popular washi papers in the fUS market. On
      her recent trip to Japan, Hiromi found the original papermaker who makes
      Hosho Professional, Hosho Studend, and Hoyu at very reasonable prices. Now
      in stock at HPI:

      > HM-50 Goyu 23.5 x 31" 50g/m2....$4.10
      > HM-51 Hosho Pro 19 x 24" 85g/m2...$3.78
      > HM-52 Hosho Student 16 x 22 85 g/m2....$1.90
      >
      > Brasilian Banana Paper
      > For a while we were out of stock of this wonderful and very popular
      decorative paper. Hppily, we have received a new shipment for 12 colors
      from Brazil. The price per sheet is $6.00. Check our website:
      www.hiromipaper.com to view the wonderful colors available.

      > ............................7) Essay: Elegies:...to the words
      unspoken..... by Donna
      Ruff........................................................................

      > My grandparents were early recyclers of paper. The big paper mills
      in Illinois would buy truckloads of used books, paper, and newspaper from my
      family's warehouse in downtown, Chicago. My mother used to tell me that I
      became an artist because I had so much paper t draw on.
      > Those early memories have impacted my art practice in many ways. I am
      interested in the properties of paper and books; I see the relationship of
      the "body of the book" to our own corporeal selves. Our bodies are strong,
      but fragile and vulnerable- just as papers eminent destrucibility id belied
      by its tensile strength. We can keep ourselves as closed and covered as a
      book, but allow ourselves to open our secrets to those who take the time to
      read them.
      > I was unaware of washi paper until seeing a large print of Kiki Smith's
      printed on gampi paer at the museum of Modern Art. The translucent sheen,
      so like skin and so seductive, seemed to convey all that I was attempting to
      foreground in my work. I have since used many of the washi papers that are
      offered by Hiomi Paper International . I've used HM-5 in my large
      installation pieces, since it has 10% Kozo, adding a lot of strength, but
      retaining the ephemeral quality that looks so beautiful when light comes
      through it. I sometimes use shellac cover oil-based printing ink, which
      causes the paper to be almost transparent, highlighting the printed images.
      > My most recent installation was for the Eldridge Street project, which
      is housed in a synagogue on the lower east side of New York. The synagogue
      was built in 1879 by Eastern European Jewish immigrants, and was the first
      of its kind in this country. The synagogue is being slowly renovated from a
      great deal of disrepair, and its current state is a beautiful mix of history
      and regeneration.
      > I created five books, representing the five books of Moses: the Old
      Testament, or what Jews call Torah, the most sacred text. Each book as
      given a theme: Memory, Ritual, History of the Lower East Side, biography,
      and Philosophy. Text from many books on each subject was Xeroxed, cut into
      strips, then copied again onto Kozo paper (MM-1). The bindings are covered
      with different skin shades of suede, to symbolize that different races
      worship in the Jewish faith. the books, with their flowing streamers of
      text, were placed on high stands that are reminiscent of library stands or
      podiums on wheels. The Jewish people, lacking a homeland for thousands of
      years, and forced to disperse again and again, were bound together by their
      reverence for Torah and for the written word.
      > I have found that MM-1 is a wonderful paper on which to copy text,
      whether by laser printer, or copy machine. It holds folds, is lightweight
      but practically indestructible, and sheet with a bit of tape to a sheet of
      bond before running it through the copier.
      > My discovery of Hiromi Paper has led me to new and exciting processes
      in my work. Just looking through the samples book is a joy. Thank you ,
      Hiromi, for offering the variety of beautiful papers and interest in
      artistic issues.
      > If you would like to see more of my fork, it can be viewed on my
      >
      > website: www.dbruff.net
      >
      > .............8) A Few Notes On
      Collage:...........................................

      > "Collage is anything where something is attached to something else."
      > -Peter Blake, artist who used collage technique to create the album cover
      for Sgt. Papers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

      > Making a collage is like packing for a trip. Lay out everything, then
      simplify as you zero in on your idea.

      > "The visual success of Fred Otnes's collages lies in their integration of
      the unexpected, in the brilliant skill with which they juxtapose
      intrinsically alien objects. The past and the future, the abstract and the
      real"
      > --review in Art In America
      >
      > "I use any material whatsoever if the picture demands it"
      > --Kurt Schwitters, pioneering collagist who used material no-one eles
      bothered with: bus tickets, scraps of found paper, laundry receipts, etc.
      to create poetic, abstract collages in 1920s Germany.

      > "It is not difficult to make things, what is difficult is to reach the
      state in which we make them"
      > --Constantin Brancusi
      >
      > Collage mind set is wide open to the magical accident.
      >
      > Picasso and his friendly rival Braque first glued bits of wall paper and
      newspaper onto their canvases in 1912. Thus introducing material from the
      Real World into the Art Word. The Parisian critics were furious. They
      named this new technique collage - from the French "coller", which means "to
      glue."

      > "It's not the glue that makes the collage."
      > --Max Ernst
      >
      > ----------------------------Compiled by Bruce Meade------------------
      >
      > 9) Upcoming Workshop:
      >
      > Make your own Bookcloth -- $45.00
      > February 2004 with Richard Pio
      > Sunday - February 8th, 2004,
      > 1 - 4 PM
      >
      > Call us to register or for more information.

      ----------

      > 10) Kochi International Triennial.......Exhibition of Prints - 2005
      >
      > Hiromi Paper is proud to be the representative of,
      > The 6th Kochi International Triennial Exhibition of Prints 2005
      >
      > Exhibition Dates:
      > March 12 - April 17, 2005
      >
      > Awards:
      > 1st prize - $10,000
      > 2nd prize - $5,000
      > 3rd prize - $3,000
      > 4th prize - $2,000
      >
      > Open to all artists, National & International working in prints on paper.
      No other surface allowed. Work is not to exceed: 40" x 40" (100cm x 100cm)

      > For an entry form and a sample packet of Tosa Washi papers suitable for
      printmaking, please call or email us:
      > 1-866-HP WASHI
      > 1 (310) 998. 0098
      > washi@...

      > This email should only be sent to those who have asked to receive it. To
      unsubscribe, return to the web form where you first subscribed and click the
      "unsubscribe" button, or contact the owner of the website.