324Re: October Saturday Workshops...

  • Pat Baldwin
    Oct 3 6:23 PM
      "WORKING WITH LEATHER, FEARLESSLY" will be held on Saturday, October
      26th from 12: to 4: pm.
      The cost is $50 + $10 materials fee. Bring your own leather.
      (I hope some of you know good sources for leather locally. Since I'm
      relatively new to this area, I'll have to rely on your help with
      this.) Send me your check NOW to reserve your place in the class.
      1505 Buckskin Dr., Santa Maria CA 93454.

      "JAPANESE RECHOSO BINDING" workshop will be held on Saturday, November
      9th from 12: to 4: at my studio in Santa Maria. It will be $50.

      This structure is the only truly Japanese
      binding I know of (the rest are taken from Chinese bindings). However,
      it looks very Western!. It opens quite flat and is NOT side stab. A
      good binding to know.
      WHAT YOU WILL LEARN: Preparation and sewing sequence. Covering and
      finishing this interesting binding.

      I'm re-posting the rest of the list of workshops in case someone
      missed it:

      "1-2-3" - One, two and three section structures. Most everyone knows
      how to manage a single section, but adding a hard cover may be a new
      problem. Then what is an easy solution to the 2 section book? Three
      sections are too few to sew in the traditional style - so.....
      WHAT YOU WILL LEARN: Case bind 1 and 2 section books and a special 3
      section structure.
      "SINGLE PAGE FOLD STRUCTURES" - Book pages that are made from multiple
      folds of one sheet of paper can be combined with added elements to
      make a whole book. WHAT YOU WILL LEARN: Various page folds plus
      additions and fold-outs. How to plan and layout your text printing.

      of ways of sewing a multiple section book together whether for a flat
      back spine or rounded spine. WHAT YOU WILL LEARN: Preparation of the
      text block and some sewing variations for different spine effects.
      "ECCENTRIC ACCORDION VARIATIONS" - Accordion structures allow lots of
      leeway for adding variety to a book as length of text, separate text
      sections, fold-outs etc.
      WHAT YOU WILL LEARN: Some wild accordion variations.
      "ECCENTRIC SIDE-STAB STRUCTURES" - There are many uses for the side
      stab book - journals, ledgers, single sheet bindings etc. This
      traditional Japanese/Chinese style has much to offer. WHAT YOU WILL
      LEARN: Soft and hard cover Western variations to the side stab
      "CAOUTCHOUC!" Gesundheidt. Thank you. It's a wonderful French word
      that simply means "perfect binding" to us. And THAT means binding
      single sheets along a spine. This structure solves many problems when
      a folded section is not available for some reason. WHAT YOU WILL
      LEARN: Binding securely single sheets into a text block and casing in.
      "SLIP CASE VARIATIONS" - Some book structures, like the energetic
      accordion, need gentle containment. WHAT YOU WILL LEARN: Part and
      whole slip case building for books that don't necessarily need to be
      fully boxed. A decorative addition to display a book.
      "POCKET BOOKS" - Structures that allow added materials - separate
      pages of text, graphics, pictures, mementos etc. WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
      Various ways to make frames, pockets and hiding places for inclusions
      in a book.
      "FAUX COPTIC" - A simpler and quicker look-alike of the traditional
      Coptic spine sewing. WHAT YOU WILL LEARN: The sequence and sewing of
      this interesting and useful structure.
      "DELUXE TRAVEL JOURNAL" - The carry-all journal that gives you room
      for everything you want to remember on your trips. WHAT YOU WILL
      LEARN: Construct a pocketed and layered book for maps, pictures,

      "WORKING WITH LEATHER - FEARLESSLY" - Many people are too cautious to
      tackle leather for their bindings. In reality, leather is one of the
      most forgiving materials to work with, and it offers a long list of
      treatments for various effects.
      WHAT YOU WILL LEARN: To score, shape, cut, carve, onlay, inlay,
      slice, emboss, stamp, dye, sculpt, fold and LOVE leather.

      Let me know what you think. I know Santa Maria seems like the end of
      the world, but it's only 58 minutes from Santa Barbara.

      See you soon!

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic