30December art sale

    Nov 3, 2001
      Dear Friends,

      On December 1st I will be hosting a sale of handicrafts made by Afghan women in the refugee camps in Pakistan. The sale is a fund raiser for RAWA, the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (where it is revolutionary to teach a girl to read and owning any book besides the Koran is a crime). Last year the sale was a success when very few people knew of the plight of women in that part of the world; this year the sale will probably attract many more people.

      I mention this because I have been fixing up a small gallery adjacent to the sale and this will be its maiden show. Eventually I hope to have book arts shows there, as well as mail art and paper arts shows. It may even be the beginning of a Book Arts Center in Santa Barbara. But for December 1st I have asked artist friends if they would like to hang their work and split the money 50/50 with RAWA. I extend this invitation to this group, with these caveats: 1. I have never done this so I'm not sure what to expect, and 2. this would not be a good venue for delicate books but more for collages or works we can hang on walls and cards that can be sold at a table. There is a lovely garden space for ceramics and sculpture if anyone has work in those media.

      I have not set any theme for this show but themes of the holidays and of peace are obvious.

      If you are interested please get in touch with me after November 17th. If you want to know more about this subject, Tahmeena Faryal, the Foreign Ambassador from RAWA, will be speaking at the Earl Warren Showgrounds on Nov. 16th. There will be lots of literature and the handicraft show will be well publicized.

      I am quite nervous about handling all this so if you want to lend support that would be welcome too. I expect to hang the show several days before the sale so I can concentrate on the tables and etcetera the day of the sale. And whereas the gallery is in a cozy room, the rest of the sale is in my yard, so if it rains everything will be postponed until Dec. 8th.

      I hope this is a big success for everyone.

      Jill Littlewood
      435 E. Pedregosa
      Santa Barbara, Ca.93103
      898-9260