      From: Jill Littlewood <jill@...>
      To: bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com <bookartsconnection@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 1:41 PM
      Subject: [bookartsconnection] First Birthday Celebration for us!

      Happy Birthday to us! August 26th is the one-year anniversary of the Book Arts Connection for the central coast. A year and three months ago this was just an idea being tossed about over baguettes and omelets at Mousse Odile by Pam Maines, Jackie Woods and myself. Now, because of the gift of email and the knowledge of Karen Thomas, we are a connected group with sixty-seven members. Hurrah!

      Although I wasn't thinking of it at the time, it was a fitting birthday party to spend four hours last Saturday at Pat Baldwin's new studio in Santa Maria. For her it was a milestone as well; a year ago she introduced herself to the Santa Barbara community and said she wanted to create art events here. She hoped Pequeno Press would be up and running quickly, along with her classes and workshops. A year must seem an eternity of construction, but now it is open. And it's fabulous! We were treated to a dozen or so stations where we could try things - papermaking, marbling, paste papers, fimo, new pattern making gizmos, and more. We also met Lucy, Pat's intern, who helped us assemble a witty pop-up book she and Pat had designed for this event. Pat explained several weekend workshops she is ready to present, as well as a collaborative book project she is proposing for our group. She will post details soon. Pat and Lucy, thank you so much for such a wonderful opening.

      On a somewhat different subject, I want everyone to know that Karen Thomas has been keeping our email running smoothly and has been curtailing people with questionable intentions. She does this before we receive their rude or vulgar contributions, so her work is invisible and thereby unappreciated. We can fix that: THANK YOU KAREN!

      The conversation about what was appropriate led to one about announcements and I think this is a subject we might want to toss around. At one end of the spectrum is keeping the news strictly book arts related. A slightly different approach would be to say that any member is welcome to talk about other arts-related events they are involved in. This would be a way of getting to know one another and make this a somewhat broader arts related email. Suggestions? Comments?

      I am girding my loins (however one does that) to move my machinery around and make room for the letterpress John Balkwill has so graciously donated to us. I am rethinking the gallery, the wet and dry rooms, and a space to spread out my work. I am considering naming this new enterprise Book, Paper, Letters. The direction of this studio is still revealing itself to me but I see classes, speakers, workshops and community outreach in the future. I want to do book arts but I also want to train teachers so book and paper arts infuse school curriculums. I also want to use book arts to teach literacy, since it seems like a natural and fun way to involve someone who is hesitant to experiment with words and reading.

      Which brings me to the lecture I went to in San Francisco way back in July. It was given by Paul Johnson, a delightful Englishman who brought an astonishing collection of his own pop-up creations. The size of his work ranges from miniature to as big as his arms held out. I'm afraid only pictures could begin to convey the playfulness of his books. I had gone to hear about the work he does with kids, and this was briefly covered - enough to reconfirm my belief that book arts is the perfect tool to hook people into making stories live. Instead of a one-page sheet of lined paper, which is graded and then put in a notebook, Paul showed us a story on a sheet of paper that flipped and turned and had openings for the character to go through. He said he had found that students used language of more sophistication and told stories of greater complexity when using a multi-layered vehicle. Everything he showed was made from 8 ½ x 11 sheets of paper, sometimes regular typing paper and sometimes watercolor stock he provided. I would love to try using his examples to help teachers invigorate their classroom writing projects.

      The San Francisco Center for the Book hosted this lecture so I got to see their new digs. Wow. Something to model ourselves on. The only thing I would add to my center would be a zany part similar to Art From Scrap, with plenty of wacky stuff to give the distinct sense that play is also a path.

      Play, birthdays, celebrations -okay, everybody hum: Happy Birthday to us, and many more.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor