1268Good local shows

    Jun 13, 2005
      Some of you may be interested in two shows currently up in Santa
      Barbara and in Camarillo. "The Power of Word" at Westmont College's
      Reynolds Gallery has an intriguing collection of 2- and 3-dimensional
      works around the theme - some serious, some quite humorous. While
      not a "book arts" show, there are many elements book artists will
      appreciate - and Cathy Molholm's basket is woven entirely of
      dictionary pages. The gallery is open weekdays 10-4 and the show is
      up through June 30.

      On the campus of CSUCI in Camarillo, Studio Channel Islands Art
      Center has three concurrent fiber arts shows which have many
      beautiful and fun garments, sculptural works, etc. In addition to
      the exhibits, a number of events are planned including demonstrations
      every Saturday afternoon. The show is up through July. The campus
      is a bit off the beaten track (take Lewis Road south from 101) but I
      was glad I made the effort to find it. (You can get more info at
      www.studiochannelislands.org)