[bolger] Re: Boatbuilding...sort of

  • Robert N. Lundy
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 1999
      I appreciate the input. I hadn't thought of beveling the outer third the way
      you mention. That would look pretty neat. But it might preclude my favorite
      method of having a square edge to run my router around to cut the final shape
      of the deck after its has been attached. I have looked at Patrick Crockett's
      pics alot. It looks like he went the recessed route (and it really does look
      nice). I'm pretty sure I'd screw this up badly.

      I think I have enough stock left to do the inside strake beveled. Since I have
      a Table Saw, its really a matter of setting up (finger boards, infeed roller
      stand).It'll be a little thicker, but these things look to be easy to bend
      around the hull. Then I'll add the two remaining strakes and the Gunwale will
      finish square.

      I've thought about using the hull forms as the bulkheads. What I really want
      to do is hide the buttstraps, so there is likely going to be some cut & fit.
      Also, I've toyed with the idea if building my mast partner differently, since
      I'll have that deck to fastern things to.

      Once you start to modify any of these seemingly small details, you really slow
      yourself down. Part of it is the thinking through process, the other is the
      lack of a scaled plan for an idiot like me to follow. Just going to a 1/2 inch
      bottom with the "square scarf" added significant time to my building process.
      If I didn't have my angle grinder to get the right bevel on that 1/2" bottom
      after attaching it and routing square, I'd still be sanding.

      BTW, what did you decide to build, the IMB?

      Robert Lundy

      Quoting John Bell <jmbell@...>:

> [...]

      Robert N. Lundy
      St. Petersburg, Fla.