[bolger] Newbie

  • David Beede
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 1999
      Hey folks, and Greg,
      Thanks for starting this group. I'm new to boat building. I just
      completed my second boat, Dave Carnell's $200 sailboat - a rework of
      Bolger's early 70s Featherwind design. It's a 15'8" sailing skiff - sort of
      a flat iron but with lots of rocker and a raked bow. It sails great, and was
      a pleasure to build. (except the crapy plywood- another story)
      Is there a shared area for posting pictures? I don't have any pics of
      the boat on my site yet. There are photos of my first boat, a Herb Mcleod
      one sheet skiff, I call Cygnet.
      And Greg, I used your Hulls program to design my own one sheet skiff
      which should carry about 300 lbs. There's a page on it under model making.
      That's really a great program, and Gavin Atkins' tutorial wa a big help too.
      I may be getting off topic here.
      I'm considering putting a balanced lug sail on my Featherwind, like the
      one Phil designed on Windsprint. Anyone built one of those? Any advice?
      I look forward to learning from you guys.
      Keep yer rudders in the water.
      David

      Simplicity Boats (mirror sites - if one doesn't work...)
      http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/
      http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/
      http://go.to/simplicityboats
      Quasi-esoteric musical instruments
      unicornstrings.com
    • GHC
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 1999
        Hi David,

        There is a way to post files on www.egroup.com/bolger; I posted my hull
        design program there.

        I built a full-battened balanced lug on my whitehall, which turned out
        great! The full battens make it fairer on the "bad" tack, and the low CE
        was great for that open boat. There are some pics on the site, but none
        too detailed.

        Gregg

      • Don Moore <oldmoore@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2002
          Hi--new here. This is a big group and very interesting. My monthly
          hours are dangerously low, so will be exploring more after the first
          of the month and becoming a bit more active.
          --Don Moore
        • Chris Balch
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2014
            Hi folks-

            I think I'm in good company here- among the admirers of Phil Bolger's many and innovative designs.

            I am a former teacher, currently a small boatbuilder in southern NH who builds boats for sale and also for and with kids.

            My website address is below if interested.

            On my website- top right link on home page, there is a link to a High School Senior who is building a Cartopper with (a little- he's pretty good for a first time builder!) help and advice from me.

            Happy to join you!

            Best-

            Chris

            John "Chris" Balch