Ancient Ship Construction

  • bgn@maverickbbs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2001
      Hello All,
      Ok, so most Bolger designs and boats aren't ancient! However,some of
      the constructions methods
      do go back quite a period of time! Anyway, not to wander any futher
      afield, let me tell you about a interesting book I found at the local
      library: "Ships and Seafaring in Ancient Times", by Lionel Casson.
      The construction methods illustrated are great. Bottom planks joined
      by mortise & tenon joints, sewn planks (stitch & glue?)jug boats,
      skin boats,Viking boats and so on...
      It appears that square sails were used for thousands of years. One
      illustration shows a loose footed square sail with a reefing method
      that consists of a web of ropes which could be adjusted to roll up
      the sail from the bottom. I wonder how that would work with a lug
      sail?
      Check it out...you might want to build a Bolger "Queen of the Nile"!
      Bill