RE: [bolger] a few more photos

  • Orr, Jamie
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
      Paul

      Your comments about the rains and their effect on the creek struck a chord.
      In 1987 I spent a summer (your winter) in Perth, and took part in the Avon
      Descent, which I'm sure you're familiar with. (For everybody else, this is
      a two day race for 8 foot outboard boats, canoes, kayaks, and wave skis.
      They pulled us off the river at the last checkpoint -- said it was getting
      too dark, so I didn't finish -- but that's another story.) The river was
      mostly dry rocks until 3 or 4 days before the race, when it rained, causing
      the river to rise and overflow. We were paddling through the trees and
      bushes, looking for the best (or sometimes any!) route.

      You could make some kind of history by entering your folding schooner. On
      the other hand, I saw several fibreglass kayaks and wave skis folded around
      tree trunks, so you might fit right in! Anyway, thanks for triggering some
      great memories, hoist a Swan's for me.

      Jamie Orr