RE: [bolger] Re: Micro v Chebacco (& Cartopper)

  • Orr, Jamie
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
      John

      I can confirm that trailering Chebacco is straighforward -- Wayward Lass
      lives on her trailer and I often launch and retrieve alone. No problems so
      far.

      I was interested in your comments on Cartopper, and just had another look at
      your picture in the files (finally got in, I'm not sure on which ID -- I
      must have had about 4 at one time, trying to get it right!) I've had
      Cartopper plans for a couple of years, I was going to build one as a tender
      at one time. Your comments and the picture have got me thinking about it
      all over again. I'll be hauling out the plans again this weekend and
      checking over my collection of plywood pieces!

      Jamie Orr

      ... I more and more think Chebacco might be the boat for us. Long Micro is
      probably too trailer intensive. I'd like to be able to launch and retireve
      singlehanded.

      I might add that I've always been highly impressed with how dry
      Cartopper is, all things considered. It's one of the reasons (while
      maintaining a very healthy respect for) that I don't fear the Carq.
      Strait in moderate weather. Chebacco has a similiar bow (a bit
      truncated) and midsection to Cartopper, the same light weight for her
      size, even the same relative location of the mainmast (and the weight
      thereof). It wouldn't surprise me at all to find her drier than the
      much heavier (but way cool!)T-bird, floating over rather than
      punching through the waves. More of a roller coaster, less of a
      water ride....
    • jboatguy@cs.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2001
        Jamie,

        There is no doubt I'm a Cartopalist, meaning I have about the same
        degree of clear-headed, hard-nosed objectivity as anyone else does
        about their beloved boat.

        When you get your Id's straight (I had the same probelem--and I know
        I'm signed in on at least one other, probably two other names at
        Yahoo, but as I didn't give them all the 'correct' answers, then
        forgot what I put down--and my password--I was SOL)

        Anyway, when you get it straight, check out the new 'Smallboats'
        board.

        It's a good group, and I posted some more comments about Cartopper on
        it that you may find useful.

        One question: how much does your Chebacco mast weigh? Any idea?

        John O'Neill, eagerly looking forward to seeing a 'Micro in progress'
        later today, and a big 'Thank You' to Glen for the the very kind
        invitation!

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2001
          My mast was 40 pounds when 8 or 16 sided, probably not much different now.

          Jamie

          One question: how much does your Chebacco mast weigh? Any idea?