Re: Micro v Chebacco

  • jboatguy@cs.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 2, 2001
      Keith,

      Thanks for the balanced reply. As much as I love Micro, I more and
      more think Chebacco might be the boat for us. Long Micro is probably
      too trailer intensive. I'd like to be able to launch and retireve
      singlehanded.

      I might add that I've always been highly impressed with how dry
      Cartopper is, all things considered. It's one of the reasons (while
      maintaining a very healthy respect for) that I don't fear the Carq.
      Strait in moderate weather. Chebacco has a similiar bow (a bit
      truncated) and midsection to Cartopper, the same light weight for her
      size, even the same relative location of the mainmast (and the weight
      thereof). It wouldn't surprise me at all to find her drier than the
      much heavier (but way cool!)T-bird, floating over rather than
      punching through the waves. More of a roller coaster, less of a
      water ride....

      Thanks again, great commentary on the boats; I appreciate it highly.
      And good luck on your 'lapstrake cartopper'! Sounds very
      interesting. If there's a vice to Cartopper, it's her narrow bottom
      that makes her a bit tiddly, noticable esp. downwind. Lapstrake
      might go a long way to mitigating that (I've often thought a balanced
      lug might be a better rig for her too, for that very reason).

      John O'Neill, Still 'plan sailing' here in N.CA.

      --- In bolger@y..., kwilson800@a... wrote:
      > The Chebacco and Micro, while of similar size, are really very
      > different boats. The Micro is a minimal cruiser for two people
      that
      > can be trailered with some difficulty. Four people in the cockpit
      > gets crowded. The long version has a lot more room. The Chebacco
      is
      > a large daysailer with a big comfortable cockpit that can carry a
      > crowd and a very small cabin, mostly just a place to put tired
      > children and extra gear. I think it could live on a trailer very
      > easily.

    • Phillip Lea
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 2, 2001
        Of course the 2.5 feet have to go to the top of the
        mast -- with 2.5 feet on the bottom, the Micro would
        lose quite a bit of its shallow draft -- kind of like
        the Santa Monica Pier. ;-)

        Phil Lea

        > > I haven't seen the plans for the taller
        mast(Micro) > > but imagine that the extra 2.5 feet is
        happening at

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/