Re: [bolger] news

  • Don and Dianne
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
      Gregg,

      re:listservers

      I have been surfing around looking at listservers, and I haven't found
      another that is free and provides linked file space. The listserv at your
      hosting outfit probably just handles the subscription and distribution - the
      linked files archive seems to be an add-on not widely available, and reading
      posts in a web browser seems to be useful for some (I don't have the
      patience).

      I'm with you; give yahoo a chance. I belong to an investment club which
      uses one of their private chat rooms for monthly "meetings". It gets wobbly
      once in a while, but on balance quite a useful service. They (Yahoo!) are
      trying to do lots of services simultaneously (you probably need a computer
      to do that!<g>), whereas egroups was focused on one service...

      Don Hodges
      www.ECoastLife.com
      Your Emerald Coast Cyber-Vacation
      Small-Boat Building, Fishing, Cruising
    • j.c.ewing@home.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
        Gregg and all:

        When the takeover of eGroups by Yahoo! was announced back in early
        December and characterized as a merger benefitting users, I drafted
        the following flaming response (in part):

        "Cut the crap. This is for Yahoo's benefit, not ours. Live chat? Who
        the h--- needs it? ... A spade is a spade and a takeover is a
        takeover -- and the intended benefit is not ours. What's in it for
        us? More advertising, probably through those bloody annoying pop-ups,
        pop-downs and pop-ins that are being thrown at us unbidden. This ever-
        increasing commercialization of the 'Net has got to stop."

        For better or for worse, I never sent this message. I gather by what
        some have said here in the past week, no-one at Yahoo! would have
        read it anyway, much less heeded it.

        I admit that my negative reaction to Yahoo! has always begun with its
        peculiar name. My Gage Canadian Dictionary defines 'yahoo' thusly: 1)
        in Swift's 'Gulliver's Travels', a type of brute in human shape who
        works for a race of intelligent horses. 2) any rough, coarse, or
        uncouth person. Why would anyone choose such a name for any
        enterprise!?

        BUT... If this List moved to another listserver, would we not lose
        access to our archive of messages and previous strings? In coming to
        the decision to make Surf my first project I learned a lot by running
        a search of key words in the messages archive. I sure wouldn't want
        to lose access to this resource. And if Yahoo! does begin to besiege
        us with pop-ups, there is a remedy: Zone Labs now has introduced a
        combination of firewall security and ad-blocking software.

        John, in rainy Victoria, where yesterday (O joys of nature!) a hawk
        ate a songbird in the trees outside my study window