RE: [bolger] Re: Micro v Chebacco-longer mast trailering

  • Paul A. Lefebvre, Jr.
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hi Peter,
      Thanks for the info; I'm sure I'll work out something! Worst case may be
      some kind of yoke on the front of the trailer so some of the mast overhangs
      the car off the forward end of the trailer - have seen trailer rigs like
      this for Hobies and such, so it wouldn't be a first. Of course I have to
      find a trailer first, as well as everything else.
      According to my plans from PCB&F (at least my understanding of them, having
      studied this aspect before buying my sails) the stretch in the mast happens
      at the top, so I also figured the extra weight would be pretty minimal,
      though having it way out at the end of the lever arm will still amplify its
      effects somewhat. Still I'm pretty sure it will be worth it in the long run,
      and by then I should be able to manage rigging it. Amazing the weird things
      that can motivate me to push a bit harder at the gym, in the middle of a
      bleak winter.....Now I'd better check again on the plans though....
      Am hoping my crew will be as enthusiastic about Micro-cruising as yours. So
      far so good, but the late-night noise has not yet begun in the basement! And
      I only drank mead once, am looking forward to the Champlain messabout to try
      it again, finished micro or no.....

      Cheers,

      Paul Lefebvre
    • Phillip Lea
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 2, 2001
        Of course the 2.5 feet have to go to the top of the
        mast -- with 2.5 feet on the bottom, the Micro would
        lose quite a bit of its shallow draft -- kind of like
        the Santa Monica Pier. ;-)

        Phil Lea

        > > I haven't seen the plans for the taller
        mast(Micro) > > but imagine that the extra 2.5 feet is
        happening at

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/