Re: [bolger] Seasoning wood for masts

  • R Coy
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
      --- Garth Battista <garth@...> wrote:
      > I went out into our woods today with my chainsaw and
      > felled two
      > future masts
      > Anyone have tips for properly seasoning these
      > things?
      >
      > How long should I let them dry?
      >
      > Should I strip the bark off and roughly plane the
      > surface, or season
      > them in their natural package?
      >
      > I've heard you should seal the ends with latex or
      > tar -- true?
      >
      > I've got a good airy garage/barn where they can live
      > indoors -- is
      > that preferable to outdoors seasoning?
      >
      > Any advice at all would be appreciated.
      >
      > All best,
      > Garth
      >
      > Garth my advice is based on what I have been told by
      log home designers and by building a couple of log
      homes.
      1. Airing in a barn is good if it isn't real hot. It
      keeps to logs drier than being outside and allows you
      to strip the bark off of the tree.
      2. Tar the ends. This assists in not allowing the
      tree to dry to quickly which will cause it to splinter
      and acquire longitudinal cracks.
      3. 1 to 3 years will be necessary to properly dry the
      logs.
      4. properly support the logs so they do not bend as
      they lie there.
      5. support them out of the dirt if possible as this
      will aid in reducing the possibility of rot and
      staining.
      6. I don't think planing when green is a good idea but
      I don't remember why.
      7. Time is your friend. Let it work slowly to dry
      them out.

      Roger

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/