Ethical delima

  • EDGAR Donnald
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2001
      I am on the verge of purchasing my first set of plans and building (or attempting to) my first boat. As such, here is the first of many (dumb) questions that you, the kind and generous members of this list will have the opportunity to entertain:

      The plan I intend to purchase is available from Harold Payson's Web site. Should I purchase the plans from Mr. Payson or from Mr. Bolger?
    • David
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2001
        No real dillema here. Mr Payson operates with the full knowledge, license and blessing of Mr. Bolger.

        I kinda' like the idea of supporting Mr. Payson's little business (his bpopks are worth getting , too). Plus, if you run into a snag in building one of the "instant" type boats, he is happy to receive your phone call and help get you through any rough
        spots.

        Just my 2 ethical cents

        David
        Contemplating the possility of bringing TWO Instant Boats to the Lake Champlain Messabout, August 4 & 5, 2001,

      • jkck@teleport.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2001
          About 13 months ago, PB&F posted a few messages on this group. In
          one message, they said that Payson was authorized to sell those plans.

        • sctree@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2001
            --- In bolger@y..., "EDGAR Donnald" <agedonnald@a...> wrote:
            > I am on the verge of purchasing my first set of plans >
            > The plan I intend to purchase is available from Harold Payson's Web
            site. Should I purchase the plans from Mr. Payson or from Mr. Bolger?

            No ethical dilemma as I see it. Payson and Bolger have a friendship
            and business relationship that go back decades. Any Bolger plans sold
            by Payson are sold with Bolger's OK. Payson was the prototype builder
            of many, if not most of the Bolger plans on his website.

            Bolger is great at answering (by fax) any design and function
            questions you have regardless of which of the two you buy from.
            Payson is the best source for construction questions, and can be
            contacted by phone, it rings in his kitchen, so often you have to go
            through his wife.

            I've bought and built several from both.

            So whatcha buildin'

            Rick
          • pvanderw@optonline.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2001
              > No real dilema here. Mr Payson operates with the full knowledge,
              license and blessing of Mr. Bolger.

              With Payson, you get telephone help from an experienced builder who
              does not always agree with PCB 100%, and who has a lot of experience
              with practical problems. And probably a lower price.

              With Bolger, you get fax help from the Source, with advice from a
              more theoretical viewpoint.

              So, what kind of things do you expect to have problems with? If you
              wonder where/how to get a pair of Folding Schooner hinges welded, go
              with Payson. If you are worried about the options in glass/plastic
              for Birdwatcher windows, perhaps you should go with Bolger.

              Peter
            • Chris Crandall
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2001
                On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 sctree@... wrote:
                > No ethical dilemma as I see it.

                This is how I see it, too.

                It's a business decision, not an ethical dilemma. Bolger OK's both.
                If you want technical advice at a high level from the boat's designer,
                then buy the higher-priced Bolger plans.

                If you want basic advice as a first-timer, and need a patient voice to get
                you through some small difficulties (small in the grand scheme--they seem
                large to you, at first), then buy from Payson.

                My dealings with both have been excellent.

                I'd buy from Payson, if I were you.

                -c
              • EDGAR Donnald
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Thanks for all the help. I suppose "ethical dilemma" was a bit of an overstatement. I am about to build either a Diablo or a Diablo Grande as a first project, although "First project" is probably a bit of an overstatement too. This will, however be my first boat using plans. When younger, I helped my grandfather build numerous Jon boats and a couple of 17' Garvey Bass boats. He, however, apparently never needed any plans, or at least didn't need to need them by the time I came along.
                • sctree@dedot.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001

                    EDGAR Donnald wrote:

                      I am about to build either a Diablo or a Diablo Grande as a first project, although "First project" is probably a bit of an overstatement too.  This will, however be my first boat using plans.

                    We are in the last assembly stages of a Diablo that we started over the Christmas Holiday in my driveway. One more good weekend and we're ready for glass sheathing the bottom, then paint. Sadly the photo processor managed to loose all three rolls of film, so no construction pics.
                    Had one fax exchange with Bolger, one e-mail with Payson, and two phone calls with Payson, all very helpful as we made a few subtle changes.
                    If you want any encouragement, start building! If you have any questions, just ask.

                    Happy building,

                    Rick

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    www.

                    Bolger rules!!!
                    - no cursing, flaming, trolling, or spamming
                    - no flogging dead horses
                    - add something: take "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
                    - stay on topic and punctuate
                    - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts

                  • R Coy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 28, 2001
                      THank God I have finished my tasks (unrelated to
                      boatbuilding) and I can look at my email again.
                      Sir; It has been quoted as saying hte only dumb
                      question is one that is not asked. I would add that
                      also includes one not understood.
                      Question?
                      If K-mart and Wal-Mart both sell hte sae item made by
                      the same manufacturer at the same price, Fron which
                      should you purchase?
                      The plans are sold at both sites. It seems to me htat
                      the only ethecial dilema is obtaining the plans
                      improperly, not from whomever.
                      Looking forward to hearing about your project.
                      -

                      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/