news

  • William Shenk
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2001
      I'm with "senorian"! What's wrong with deja? Works better for me.

      > how about the
      >group abandoning Yahoo and going to,maybe, deja.Their existing
      >boating sites operate very nicely.

      Bill Shenk
    • KF4call@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2001
        In a message dated 1/30/2001 7:55:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        weshenk@... writes:

        << 'm with "senorian"! What's wrong with deja? Works better for me.

        > how about the
        >group abandoning Yahoo and going to,maybe, deja.Their existing
        >boating sites operate very nicely.

        I would support a change-over as well. In addition to the Bolger group, I
        also am the listholder of the Oldshoe group. I cannot re-register for either
        group, and I can't even find the Oldshoe group page, although I still get
        mail from both. In addition they don't have a direct email help address, and
        they justify the reasons why they don''t!! I might have tried to write for
        help with the techniques or I might even have written to express (and attempt
        to resolve) the cause of my dissatisfaction, but that route seems to be
        intentionally blocked by Yahoo.
        Best regards,
        Warren
      • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2001
          What are the existing groups at Deja? I don't have anything listed for them
          in my links list. I wasn't aware that they hosted mailing lists, is that
          new?

          --
          John <jkohnen@...>
          http://www.boat-links.com/
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2001
            Deja does not run listservers (i.e. listbots), which is what we are. We
            are relatively private and on-topic - although anyone can join, trolls and
            spammers can be easily banned. Listservers used to just be individuals who
            volunteered to maintain a large email list and forward email to everyone on
            it. It a lot of work, so listserver services sprang up so that YOU go
            somewhere and maintain your own name.

            Deja is Usenet, or at least it's a WWWeb browser overlaying Usenet, more
            commonly read with a Usenet reader program like Free Agent (neither a
            browser nor an email client). Usenet is an open text network like a just
            like a public bulletin board. It's not private or genteel - just post the
            question, "should American cruisers keep guns?" to rec.boats and watch the
            hair fly.

            I would be more than happy to discuss moving the list off Yahoo/Egroups if
            we could find a better list server. Listbot has gone commercial mainly, so
            I don't see it as an option. Any others suggestions are welcome.

            Gregg Carlson
            Bolger list moderator

          • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
              Gregg-

              OK, I'm afraid I misunderstood. Usenet has nothing to do with Dejanews,
              it's much older than the World Wide Web, DejaNews just provides one means
              of accessing Usenet postings.

              Usenet newsgroups have their place (I follow a few), but if we abandon
              Yahoo I'd much rather see us move to another mailing list server. The
              outfit I use to host my domain has some sort of mailing list handling
              available, I think as part of the package I use. I wonder what kind of
              bandwidth a mailing list uses? I've got plenty of disk space, but my
              bandwidth usage is fairly high.... If anyone's interested, the outfit is:

              http://www.hostway.com

              For now I think we should give yahoo a chance. I'm troubled by the change,
              but moving would be traumatic.

              On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:10:22 -0600, Gregg Carlson wrote:
              > Deja does not run listservers (i.e. listbots), which is what we are. We
              > are relatively private and on-topic - although anyone can join, trolls and
              > spammers can be easily banned. Listservers used to just be individuals who
              > volunteered to maintain a large email list and forward email to everyone on
              > it. It a lot of work, so listserver services sprang up so that YOU go
              > somewhere and maintain your own name.
              >
              > Deja is Usenet, or at least it's a WWWeb browser overlaying Usenet, more
              > commonly read with a Usenet reader program like Free Agent (neither a
              > browser nor an email client). Usenet is an open text network like a just
              > like a public bulletin board. It's not private or genteel - just post the
              > question, "should American cruisers keep guns?" to rec.boats and watch the
              > hair fly.
              >
              > I would be more than happy to discuss moving the list off Yahoo/Egroups if
              > we could find a better list server. Listbot has gone commercial mainly, so
              > I don't see it as an option. Any others suggestions are welcome.

              --
              John <jkohnen@...>
              http://www.boat-links.com/
              After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations.
              <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
            • James Fuller
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
                Hi,

                Just curious, I know what a spammer is, what is a troller?

                TIA

                James Fuller

                OK, I'm afraid I misunderstood. Usenet has nothing to do with Dejanews,
                it's much older than the World Wide Web, DejaNews just provides one means
                of accessing Usenet postings.

                Usenet newsgroups have their place (I follow a few), but if we abandon
                Yahoo I'd much rather see us move to another mailing list server. The
                outfit I use to host my domain has some sort of mailing list handling
                available, I think as part of the package I use. I wonder what kind of
                bandwidth a mailing list uses? I've got plenty of disk space, but my
                bandwidth usage is fairly high.... If anyone's interested, the outfit is:

                http://www.hostway.com

                For now I think we should give yahoo a chance. I'm troubled by the change,
                but moving would be traumatic.

                On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:10:22 -0600, Gregg Carlson wrote:
                > Deja does not run listservers (i.e. listbots), which is what we are.  We
                > are relatively private and on-topic - although anyone can join, trolls and
                > spammers can be easily banned.  Listservers used to just be individuals who
                > volunteered to maintain a large email list and forward email to everyone on
                > it.  It a lot of work, so listserver services sprang up so that YOU go
                > somewhere and maintain your own name.
                >
                > Deja is Usenet, or at least it's a WWWeb browser overlaying Usenet, more
                > commonly read with a Usenet reader program like Free Agent (neither a
                > browser nor an email client).  Usenet is an open text network like a just
                > like a public bulletin board. It's not private or genteel - just post the
                > question, "should American cruisers keep guns?" to rec.boats and watch the
                > hair fly.
                >
                > I would be more than happy to discuss moving the list off Yahoo/Egroups if
                > we could find a better list server.  Listbot has gone commercial mainly, so
                > I don't see it as an option.  Any others suggestions are welcome.

                --
                                         John <jkohnen@...>
                                          http://www.boat-links.com/
                After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations.
                                        <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>

                Bolger rules!!!
                - no cursing, flaming, trolling, or spamming
                - no flogging dead horses
                - add something: take "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
                - stay on topic and punctuate
                - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts

              • Don and Dianne
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Gregg,

                  re:listservers

                  I have been surfing around looking at listservers, and I haven't found
                  another that is free and provides linked file space. The listserv at your
                  hosting outfit probably just handles the subscription and distribution - the
                  linked files archive seems to be an add-on not widely available, and reading
                  posts in a web browser seems to be useful for some (I don't have the
                  patience).

                  I'm with you; give yahoo a chance. I belong to an investment club which
                  uses one of their private chat rooms for monthly "meetings". It gets wobbly
                  once in a while, but on balance quite a useful service. They (Yahoo!) are
                  trying to do lots of services simultaneously (you probably need a computer
                  to do that!<g>), whereas egroups was focused on one service...

                  Don Hodges
                  www.ECoastLife.com
                  Your Emerald Coast Cyber-Vacation
                  Small-Boat Building, Fishing, Cruising
                • j.c.ewing@home.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
                    Gregg and all:

                    When the takeover of eGroups by Yahoo! was announced back in early
                    December and characterized as a merger benefitting users, I drafted
                    the following flaming response (in part):

                    "Cut the crap. This is for Yahoo's benefit, not ours. Live chat? Who
                    the h--- needs it? ... A spade is a spade and a takeover is a
                    takeover -- and the intended benefit is not ours. What's in it for
                    us? More advertising, probably through those bloody annoying pop-ups,
                    pop-downs and pop-ins that are being thrown at us unbidden. This ever-
                    increasing commercialization of the 'Net has got to stop."

                    For better or for worse, I never sent this message. I gather by what
                    some have said here in the past week, no-one at Yahoo! would have
                    read it anyway, much less heeded it.

                    I admit that my negative reaction to Yahoo! has always begun with its
                    peculiar name. My Gage Canadian Dictionary defines 'yahoo' thusly: 1)
                    in Swift's 'Gulliver's Travels', a type of brute in human shape who
                    works for a race of intelligent horses. 2) any rough, coarse, or
                    uncouth person. Why would anyone choose such a name for any
                    enterprise!?

                    BUT... If this List moved to another listserver, would we not lose
                    access to our archive of messages and previous strings? In coming to
                    the decision to make Surf my first project I learned a lot by running
                    a search of key words in the messages archive. I sure wouldn't want
                    to lose access to this resource. And if Yahoo! does begin to besiege
                    us with pop-ups, there is a remedy: Zone Labs now has introduced a
                    combination of firewall security and ad-blocking software.

                    John, in rainy Victoria, where yesterday (O joys of nature!) a hawk
                    ate a songbird in the trees outside my study window