Micro v Chebacco

  • jboatguy@cs.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 28, 2001
      Okay folks, not to get away from Yahoo--but to get away from yahoo (I
      know I know things were going along just dandy and someone had to go
      and mess with it, and they ask too many questions (and yea I agree)
      but if you invite BIG BRO (the internet hydra)into your living room
      you kind of have to expect BIG BRO will take advantage...) anyway, I
      have a question....

      I have both sets of plans in front of me (thank you Bink!). I've
      been dreaming on it for months/years now. The question is, which
      boat!

      Chebacco or Micro. Hmmmmm...

      Won't Chebacco point better, i.e., leave Micro over the lee horizon?
      Won't she go faster off the wind too? We got some viscous currents
      here in the Delta area of N.CA, the water she a-churns and a-boils
      under those big bridges sometimes. And yea, I know they'll both point
      like laser beams with their motors on, but I'm one of those 'since
      I'm out sailing I wanna be sailin' people, and I know I'd drive the
      crew batty about not wanting to start the engine, and I'd really
      rather avoid that if I can.

      And now, I know Micro might be more comfortable in the cabin (is
      she?) and that's important for a happy crew. And I think she's cute
      as a button, and there's something about tweaking the 'sailboats have
      to look like sailboats' crowd that has a deep and maybe even maniacal
      (sp?) appeal to me. But Chebacco also looks like she'd hold a
      football team in that cockpit. It'd be nice to be able to take six
      or eight PFD equipped kids out for happy sail around the pond on once
      in a while. How many will Micro's cockpit hold, with at least
      tacking room for the skip?

      These are the deep question I ponder in those mystical moments in bed
      between sleeps, and in the car, on the pot, and when my wife is going
      on about projects around the house. (Uh oh, the secrets out!)(But I
      kind of suspect she knows that anyway, I can see it in those rolling
      eyes....)

      I also know it's a stupid question (the navy told me there was no
      such thing as a stupid questions, but they also said I'd get the see
      the world, when all I got to see was the inside of a submarine...)

      I know its a stupid question because the Chebacco's will be all gun-
      ho about Chebacco, and the Micros will be batty about Micro, and
      it'll all amout to nothing, but gee whiz, what are we all here for
      anyway, if we all aren't a little gun-ho and batty about boats in the
      first place?

      John O'Neill, living it up here in sometimes sunny N. CA, (at least
      when the lights are on) and remembering my beautiful sail with Bink
      yesterday, with reefs tucked into our cozy Cartoppers (and we
      needed 'em) and livin it up on the slough....What a life!
    • Phillip Lea
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 2, 2001
        Of course the 2.5 feet have to go to the top of the
        mast -- with 2.5 feet on the bottom, the Micro would
        lose quite a bit of its shallow draft -- kind of like
        the Santa Monica Pier. ;-)

        Phil Lea

        > > I haven't seen the plans for the taller
        mast(Micro) > > but imagine that the extra 2.5 feet is
        happening at

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/