Re: Block question

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2001
      - I'm not sure if what I have is what you're looking for, but a few
      years ago my neighbor gave me a pair of (new) all steel blocks on
      their own base. I think they are originally for the steering cables
      of old outboards. Very hefty, I'm guessing they are drilled for a pair
      of 3/8" mounting bolts. If you think one might work, let me know and
      I'll scan a photo to you. You can have one if you pay the shipping.

      Rick

      -- In bolger@egroups.com, "MA Farrell, G Blankenship " <gbship@i...>
      wrote:
      > The design of the lifting keel for my rebuilding project calls for
      > rather hefty block (for the lifting wire) that's proving hard to
      > find. Nothing has been located that looks like the drawing, which
      > resembles a masthead turning block and I think a conventional block
      > shackled to a stout padeye would do. But after pouring over
      catalogs,
      > the right block as remained elusive -- except with a price tag of
      > $200 or more, and I've built entire boats for less. Here's what's
      > needed: A rather large block with a 3-inch or so sheave. The sheave
      > probably should be metal and probably should also be grooved for
      1/4-
      > inch wire. The working (not breaking) strength should be around a
      > ton. If the block comes with its own baseplate, it should take at
      > least 1/4-inch bolts.
      >
      > Any thoughts/suggestions? Many thanks for any help!
      >
      > Gary Blankenship
      > Tallahassee, FL, where it's not only too cold to epoxy, it's too
      cold
      > to paint!
    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2001
        That seems like a lot of stress on the wire! Do they have wire with a
        working load that high? I get, very roughly, somewhere above 40,000
        psi, not accounting for the spaces between the strands. Don't know,
        but I should think working load would be reduced in an application
        where you move the wire over a block under load.
        --- In bolger@egroups.com, "MA Farrell, G Blankenship " <gbship@i...>
        snip probably should be metal and probably should also be grooved for