Lead for ballast.

  • Claude Conn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2001
      A sometimes good source of lead for ballast is at your local gas
      stations and tire dealers. Often you can pick up used wheel weights
      free or at very low cost. If you talk to someone about what you need
      and what you are going to use it for, you may run into a symphathetic
      boater. I doubt if you can pick up 5oolbs easily, but 100 or 200 lbs
      here and there is possible. I have done this several times. For most
      of these places, the cost of recycling is close to the cost of new
      goods, so it is no big deal to give some away, either free, or cheap.

      Claude
    • Orr, Jamie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2001
        I found some scrap at a shop that did casting work -- it was the lead used
        to seal 45 gal (55 US gal) drums. Cost me 30 cents Canadian (20 cents US) a
        pound. I don't know if this was cheap or not. Try the yellow pages under
        metalworking.

        Jamie Orr

        A sometimes good source of lead for ballast is at your local gas
        stations and tire dealers. Often you can pick up used wheel weights
        free or at very low cost. If you talk to someone about what you need
        and what you are going to use it for, you may run into a symphathetic
        boater. I doubt if you can pick up 5oolbs easily, but 100 or 200 lbs
        here and there is possible. I have done this several times. For most
        of these places, the cost of recycling is close to the cost of new
        goods, so it is no big deal to give some away, either free, or cheap.

        Claude

        Bolger rules!!!
        - no cursing, flaming, trolling, or spamming
        - no flogging dead horses
        - add something: take "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
        - stay on topic and punctuate
        - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts