Re: [bolger] Dovekie

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2001
      On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Clyde S. Wisner wrote:
      > One of the books has the write up and the offsets for Dovekie(not 30
      > odd or bwom). I have seen them and may have made a copy because at the
      > time I thought one could strip build one, and I'm partial to the
      > presto hull. Clyde

      It's "Folding Schooner and Other Adventures . . . "

      That's what set me off on this again.
    • thedumbox2
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25, 2014

        I have a line on a Dovekie here in Western Michigan. I am interested in it, but know little to nothing about Dovekies. I am not particularly enamored of the looks, but would it be a capable camp cruiser in my native waters of Lake Michigan and the waters of Lakes Huron and Superior in the Upper Peninsula? I'd like to hear from folks about the pros and cons of the boat, especially those who have had experience with them. Thanks,

        Dennis

      • mason smith
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 25, 2014

          Not like the looks of Dovekie? That would be the first requirement! Apart from that, you’d have to be more specific about your intended cruising waters. Dovekie is for shoal water cruising, generally in protected waters. It’s a boat but you must want it for what it does well, what it was designed to do, or it might not endear itself to you You must not mind crawling about on hands and knees. It’s a two person tent. But not like the looks? It’s irresistible, like Raymond Loewy’s Studebakers!

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 25, 2014

            Bolger was pretty ruthless when it came to designing a boat foe a specific purpose and he designed Dovekies for shallow water cruising. With the boards up, they draw about 4” and, with the bow centerboard, they can sail pretty well in 6”. They have a comfortable cockpit with chair height seating and a reasonable back rest. They have substantial form stability and you can stand up and walk around. The tenting does work, particularly with the “back porch” option. Camping on the cockpit floor with substantial air/foam mattresses is quite comfortable. Mast raising and anchor tending are done from a forward hatch and you stand about hip deep in the boat while doing this. You can, in fact, row a Dovekie, but the oars are very long and go through ports in the side—kind of awkward when coming along side a dock as you can’t lift the oar out of the lock. Moving around on the boat requires ducking under the boom gallows (aka “the roll bar”) and a lot of crawling around. The leeboards work but are raised and lowered by a crank handle. I found that lowering and raising the board took a considerable effort. They sail pretty well in light air. When the wind picks up, they need to be reefed, but the center of effort on the low aspect leg of mutton sail moves forward and generates lee helm. The lee helm can be offset with the bow centerboard, but the bow cb resists turning and heading up in a puff doesn’t work very well—you need to ease the main. Dovekies can be capsized and they hold a lot of water. They are constructed of fg over closed cell foam so they wont sink…

            If you are young and/or limber and want to “beach cruise” or poke around where the water meets land, they are about as good as you will find. However, if you plan to go off shore, there are many better choices…

            JohnT

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 26, 2014

              John’s description is, as usual, on the mark.

              If his accurate analysis has sold anyone on the design, I have one for sale at:

              http://sailingtexas.com/201401/sdovekie122.html

              Regards

              Dan Walker

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 26, 2014

                John and Mason,

                Thank you for the replies.

                To Mason, I find Micro and Martha Jane to be more aesthetically pleasing than Dovekie, and given John's description about her qualities, I am inclined to pass on the opportunity to own one. This is not primarily because of her looks, however, but because I am not young and limber! I need a boat that is more user friendly to aging bones.

                Dennis

              • mason smith
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 26, 2014

                  Dennis, I too like the looks of Micro (in the water) too, and have enjoyed my Micro even more than the Dovekie, and am getting ready for a launch this weekend of Micro Pelican( see it at signature address), which is always for sale just the same, so that I might try yet another trailer-sailer. –Mason

                  Adirondack Goodboat

                  68 North Point Road

                  Long Lake, NY 12847

                  518 624 6398