Re: Dovekie

  • Peter Vanderwaart
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
      > Do people know how many are normally available, and especially,
      what the
      > going rate for one in good condition is?

      For example, there is one advertised for $6000, with motor and
      trailer here:

      http://www.trailersailor.com/june96.html#forsail

      I was always disappointed by the interior. It's not,
      er, 'comfortable' in there.

      Peter
    • Jake Millar
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
        --- In bolger@egroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@u...> wrote:

        > In re-reading the Folding Schooner, it occurs to me that I would
        > quite like to own a Dovekie.
        >
        > Do people know how many are normally available, and especially,
        what the
        > going rate for one in good condition is?
        >
        > Also, I know that as production progressed, design changes were
        made.
        > What should I look for, and if possible, do people know the
        sail/hull
        > numbers that are most desirable?
        >

        > CO'D tells me that a BUC (Bolger Unit Currency) = 1 Dovekie = $5000.
        >
        > Is this true?

        Hi Chris,
        I've had my Dovekie for several years now and I absolutely
        love it! I know my opinion is heavily biased but I think it's about
        the best shallow water camp/cruiser ever.
        They come around for sale once in awhile. Average prices are
        between $4000 - $6000 depending on condition and equipment included.
        You're right about changes made to the boats over the years. Any boat
        from 1984 on had all the changes/improvements in place. That would be
        the fiberglass gallows, bow centerboard, better cockpit seats, wider
        leeboards, and the deck has recessed drains and fiberglass
        hatchcovers for the center and forward hatches(for trailering and
        storage). Most of the older boats have been kept up pretty well by
        caring owners so you can find an older boat in great shape also.
        If you go to The Shallow Water Sailors webpage at-
        http://www.trailersailor/sws/
        You'll find alot of info on Dovekie and some of the other boats that
        sail with us (Shearwaters, Martha Janes, Bay Hens, Sea Pearls). If
        you e-mail Ken (the editor of the newsletter) he might be able to let
        you know of any boats for sale.
        If there's any more questions I can answer for you about the
        Dovekie you can e-mail me at gunkholer@...
        Jake Millar