Re: [bolger] Dovekie

  • jmbell@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2001
      If anyone would know, CO'D would. From what I've seen in ads, Dovekies seem to be listed for $4-6000. How much they actually sell for is anyone's guess.

      JB

      bolger@egroups.com wrote:

      In re-reading the Folding Schooner, it occurs to me that I would
      quite like to own a Dovekie.

      Do people know how many are normally available, and especially, what the
      going rate for one in good condition is?

      Also, I know that as production progressed, design changes were made.
      What should I look for, and if possible, do people know the sail/hull
      numbers that are most desirable?

      CO'D tells me that a BUC (Bolger Unit Currency) = 1 Dovekie = $5000.

      Is this true?

      -c

      Bolger rules!!!
      - no cursing, flaming, trolling, or spamming
      - no flogging dead horses
      - add something: take "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
      - stay on topic and punctuate
      - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts
    • Stan Muller
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 2, 2001
        Chris,
        Go to; http://aingram.educ.kent.edu/sailing/dovespec.htm
        for the Dovekie layout. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to
        build in a single chine plywood version. I too like the Dovekie.
        Stan, Snow Goose
      • Ron Eike
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 2, 2001
          Isn't Birdwatcher designed to be a hard chine Dovekie ?

          Ron

        • StepHydro@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 2, 2001
            In a message dated 01/02/2001 4:<BR52:<BR10 PM
            Eastern Standard , smuller@... writes
            >>the Dovekie layout. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to
            > build in a single chine plywood version.

            Well, PCB did design a "Dovkie for home builders". It is called Birdwatcher
            :-)

            Cheers/Step
          • hans huber
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 3, 2001
              there is already a ply version ...
              ... it is called "birdwatcher".
              see bwaom
              hannes

              > Chris,
              > Go to; http://aingram.educ.kent.edu/sailing/dovespec.htm
              > for the Dovekie layout. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to
              > build in a single chine plywood version. I too like the Dovekie.
              > Stan, Snow Goose

              > - no flogging dead horses
              > - stay on topic and punctuate

            • Clyde S. Wisner
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 3, 2001
                One of the books has the write up and the offsets for Dovekie(not 30 odd
                or bwom). I have seen them and may have made a copy because at the time
                I thought one could strip build one, and I'm partial to the presto hull.
                Clyde

                Stan Muller wrote:

                > Chris,
                > Go to; http://aingram.educ.kent.edu/sailing/dovespec.htm
                > for the Dovekie layout. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to
                > build in a single chine plywood version. I too like the Dovekie.
                > Stan, Snow Goose

                > - no flogging dead horses
                > - stay on topic and punctuate
              • Chris Crandall
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 3, 2001
                  On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Clyde S. Wisner wrote:
                  > One of the books has the write up and the offsets for Dovekie(not 30
                  > odd or bwom). I have seen them and may have made a copy because at the
                  > time I thought one could strip build one, and I'm partial to the
                  > presto hull. Clyde

                  It's "Folding Schooner and Other Adventures . . . "

                  That's what set me off on this again.
                • thedumbox2
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 25, 2014

                    I have a line on a Dovekie here in Western Michigan. I am interested in it, but know little to nothing about Dovekies. I am not particularly enamored of the looks, but would it be a capable camp cruiser in my native waters of Lake Michigan and the waters of Lakes Huron and Superior in the Upper Peninsula? I'd like to hear from folks about the pros and cons of the boat, especially those who have had experience with them. Thanks,

                    Dennis

                  • mason smith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 25, 2014

                      Not like the looks of Dovekie? That would be the first requirement! Apart from that, you’d have to be more specific about your intended cruising waters. Dovekie is for shoal water cruising, generally in protected waters. It’s a boat but you must want it for what it does well, what it was designed to do, or it might not endear itself to you You must not mind crawling about on hands and knees. It’s a two person tent. But not like the looks? It’s irresistible, like Raymond Loewy’s Studebakers!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 25, 2014

                        Bolger was pretty ruthless when it came to designing a boat foe a specific purpose and he designed Dovekies for shallow water cruising. With the boards up, they draw about 4” and, with the bow centerboard, they can sail pretty well in 6”. They have a comfortable cockpit with chair height seating and a reasonable back rest. They have substantial form stability and you can stand up and walk around. The tenting does work, particularly with the “back porch” option. Camping on the cockpit floor with substantial air/foam mattresses is quite comfortable. Mast raising and anchor tending are done from a forward hatch and you stand about hip deep in the boat while doing this. You can, in fact, row a Dovekie, but the oars are very long and go through ports in the side—kind of awkward when coming along side a dock as you can’t lift the oar out of the lock. Moving around on the boat requires ducking under the boom gallows (aka “the roll bar”) and a lot of crawling around. The leeboards work but are raised and lowered by a crank handle. I found that lowering and raising the board took a considerable effort. They sail pretty well in light air. When the wind picks up, they need to be reefed, but the center of effort on the low aspect leg of mutton sail moves forward and generates lee helm. The lee helm can be offset with the bow centerboard, but the bow cb resists turning and heading up in a puff doesn’t work very well—you need to ease the main. Dovekies can be capsized and they hold a lot of water. They are constructed of fg over closed cell foam so they wont sink…

                        If you are young and/or limber and want to “beach cruise” or poke around where the water meets land, they are about as good as you will find. However, if you plan to go off shore, there are many better choices…

                        JohnT

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 26, 2014

                          John’s description is, as usual, on the mark.

                          If his accurate analysis has sold anyone on the design, I have one for sale at:

                          http://sailingtexas.com/201401/sdovekie122.html

                          Regards

                          Dan Walker

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 26, 2014

                            John and Mason,

                            Thank you for the replies.

                            To Mason, I find Micro and Martha Jane to be more aesthetically pleasing than Dovekie, and given John's description about her qualities, I am inclined to pass on the opportunity to own one. This is not primarily because of her looks, however, but because I am not young and limber! I need a boat that is more user friendly to aging bones.

                            Dennis

                          • mason smith
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 26, 2014

                              Dennis, I too like the looks of Micro (in the water) too, and have enjoyed my Micro even more than the Dovekie, and am getting ready for a launch this weekend of Micro Pelican( see it at signature address), which is always for sale just the same, so that I might try yet another trailer-sailer. –Mason

                              Adirondack Goodboat

                              68 North Point Road

                              Long Lake, NY 12847

                              518 624 6398