Re: [bolger] Epoxy mixing

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
      On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Chuck Leinweber wrote:
      > I have found that the cheap pumps that you can get from the resin
      > suppliers are very easy to use.

      While this is true, I almost had a boat ruined by relying on such pumps.
      They are prone to inaccuracy, and one of my frames is glued with a very
      spongy epoxy saturation, and one of my hull side butt blocks never set up,
      because of the pumps putting out the "wrong" amount.

      I fixed the frame by doubling and tripling the number of ring nails and
      screws, but I had to rip off 12 inches of sides, and start again. I was
      fortunate that this did not mean buying four new sheets of plywood--the
      design had about 14 inches to spare.

      In short--do not trust the cheap pumps. They fail, and your project can
      along with it. Mine almost did.

      Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
      Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
      I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.