Re: Plywood 12-1/2 - Keel Construction

  • Peter Vanderwaart
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
      > Does the plywood 12-1/2 still have the horizontal keelbolts as
      shown in Boat Design Quarterly and BWAOM?

      I'm a little confused. My copy of BWAOM does not show any
      construction detail for the 12 1/2 at all. I am beginning to get the
      idea the PCB finally created a buildable plan which is shown in later
      editions of BWAOM. True? False?

      Peter
    • Ann Romanczuk
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
        Oops - I think the final plans were in Boat Design Quarterly. There
        was considerable detail, and that's where I saw the alarming
        keelbolts. I don't have BWAOM handy, but now that I think about it,
        it doesn't show much.

        -- In bolger@egroups.com, "Peter Vanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:
        > > Does the plywood 12-1/2 still have the horizontal keelbolts as
        > shown in Boat Design Quarterly and BWAOM?
        >
        > I'm a little confused. My copy of BWAOM does not show any
        > construction detail for the 12 1/2 at all. I am beginning to get
        the
        > idea the PCB finally created a buildable plan which is shown in
        later
        > editions of BWAOM. True? False?
        >
        > Peter
      • Mark Oliver
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
          Peter,
          I don't have my copy of BWAOM since I've lent it to a friend, so I
          can't recall what detail was there. However, the plans have been
          completed for 'experienced builders' (in PCB's words) and he has them
          available for sale. I've got a copy and they have all the
          information I think a builder would need. He has made some other
          changes - the rig is now a Solent lug rig (the mainsail is about the
          same shape as the jib-headed rig, but the top two-thirds fo the luff
          hoists on a vertical yard)and the jib is a balanced-club type, self-
          trimming in tacking and not hanked to a stay. Very pretty rig

          Regarding the horizontal keelbolts - yes that is still in the plans.
          The outer two layers of the keel/backbone assembly (6 layers of 1/2"
          plywood total) overlap the lead by approximately 2 inches on the top
          and back. The lead keel(750 lbs now) is attached by six 1/2"
          horizontal keel bolts (3 on the top and 3 on the back)through the
          outer two overlapping layers of plywood. Being a mechanical engineer
          myself I was also a little suspect of this, but want to do some
          calculations before I jump to conclusions. I was also considering
          the vertical keelbolts, but looking at it, the vertical keelbolts
          have the potential to start 'splitting' the plywood since some of the
          forces will be 'cross-grain' between layers.

          Whatever I do, you can be sure I'll have some more discussions on
          this with PCB&F before proceeding with the full size boat. I've
          almost completed the 1/6 scale model and am finding the shape quite
          nice actually. Unfortunately, I've got to go back to work tomorrow
          after a bit of time off and my schedule won't allow completion for a
          couple of months. I'll put a picture of it in the files once it is
          complete.

          Additionally, regarding the earlier comment about the Haven 12-1/2.
          I've looked at it and it is still quite a bit more complex even
          though many amateurs have built it. While I do enjoy building - I
          enjoy sailing even more. Additionally I prefer the fixed keel.

          Regards,
          Mark Oliver