Re: [bolger] flotation foam

  • Stan Muller
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2001
      Hi Steve Anderson and All.
      Something to consider with flotation;
      > Air chambers that are integral with the hull are not allowed. They must be separate > from the hull. Also, you have to pass the test with the two largest chambers punctured.
      Goto;http://hometown.aol.com/spinners/index.html, and click on
      flotation.
      This is one of the mistakes I made on the Snow Goose. I have watertight
      compartments under the cockpit seats, in the bow, under the bunk and now
      in the added sponsons.
      It all will work, but by the new rules, none of it will count. For
      this reason I now have to fill them with air tight containers like empty
      milk jugs etc., if I want them to count for flotation.
      Steve, what size are the sponsons on the new MJ?
      Stan, Snow Goose.
    • hwal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2001
        In a message dated 1/1/2001 1:18:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        smuller@... writes:

        << Steve, what size are the sponsons on the new MJ? >>
        Stan - I don't have the plans in front of me - but at the stern they are
        about 12 inches wide and perhaps 15" deep and the taper to zero width as they
        move forward. When they reach the bridgedeck they are flush with the rest of
        the hull - they're about 8' long. Again I don't have the plans or notes in
        front of me - but I seem to recall that Mr. B. said they provide about 200
        lbs floatation each. Steve
      • Stan Muller
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2001
          Thanks Steve,
          I knew I had something fouled up, mine looked like peanut shells on a
          pumpkin! Thank Heavens it has been too cold to glue, Now I can re-size
          them before mess my boat up. They were too short and didn't look good.
          They will not only provide extra flotation, but will also make it easier
          for me to get into the boat from a high dock by giving me another step.
          I'll too old and fat to make the jump like I once did. ;-)
          Thanks again, Stan & Snow Goose, feeling sorry that we didn't go
          south for the winter.