Re: folding schooner in Aust.

  • Peter Vanderwaart
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
      > I made new
      > boards and ran a fiberglass strip along the bottom edge and made
      sure
      > the board was slathered good with epoxy.

      I would doubt that epoxy alone would make the boards much stiffer,
      but I think a layer of glass in epoxy would stiffen them alot. You
      could experiment. Of course, you need to make sure they don't get too
      thick for the daggerboard cases.

      Jacques Mertens at www.bateau.com designs 'composite' boats with
      glass over plywood cores. The glass layers are not thick, but are an
      essential part of the construction.

      Peter
    • Richard Sharp
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
        Slathering the epoxy on the board and the glass on the bottom of the
        board were to seal the board edges, trying to keep them from opening
        up the grain when I scraped them running aground. I think that is
        why the first ones warped. I do not think it is necessary to thicken
        the boards, just try not to run aground!
        Rich Sharp