trimaran

  • bbowling2@home.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
      Have any of you built or know of anyone who has built a trimaran based
      on a square boat design? An 8 by 26 foot, breakdown, trailerable
      trimaran for use on southwestern lakes and maybe offshore San Diego
      should answer a major part of my boat wish list.

      Bill
    • Chris Crandall
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
        In re-reading the Folding Schooner, it occurs to me that I would
        quite like to own a Dovekie.

        Do people know how many are normally available, and especially, what the
        going rate for one in good condition is?

        Also, I know that as production progressed, design changes were made.
        What should I look for, and if possible, do people know the sail/hull
        numbers that are most desirable?

        CO'D tells me that a BUC (Bolger Unit Currency) = 1 Dovekie = $5000.

        Is this true?

        -c
      • Peter Vanderwaart
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
          > Do people know how many are normally available, and especially,
          what the
          > going rate for one in good condition is?

          For example, there is one advertised for $6000, with motor and
          trailer here:

          http://www.trailersailor.com/june96.html#forsail

          I was always disappointed by the interior. It's not,
          er, 'comfortable' in there.

          Peter
        • Jake Millar
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
            --- In bolger@egroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@u...> wrote:

            > In re-reading the Folding Schooner, it occurs to me that I would
            > quite like to own a Dovekie.
            >
            > Do people know how many are normally available, and especially,
            what the
            > going rate for one in good condition is?
            >
            > Also, I know that as production progressed, design changes were
            made.
            > What should I look for, and if possible, do people know the
            sail/hull
            > numbers that are most desirable?
            >

            > CO'D tells me that a BUC (Bolger Unit Currency) = 1 Dovekie = $5000.
            >
            > Is this true?

            Hi Chris,
            I've had my Dovekie for several years now and I absolutely
            love it! I know my opinion is heavily biased but I think it's about
            the best shallow water camp/cruiser ever.
            They come around for sale once in awhile. Average prices are
            between $4000 - $6000 depending on condition and equipment included.
            You're right about changes made to the boats over the years. Any boat
            from 1984 on had all the changes/improvements in place. That would be
            the fiberglass gallows, bow centerboard, better cockpit seats, wider
            leeboards, and the deck has recessed drains and fiberglass
            hatchcovers for the center and forward hatches(for trailering and
            storage). Most of the older boats have been kept up pretty well by
            caring owners so you can find an older boat in great shape also.
            If you go to The Shallow Water Sailors webpage at-
            http://www.trailersailor/sws/
            You'll find alot of info on Dovekie and some of the other boats that
            sail with us (Shearwaters, Martha Janes, Bay Hens, Sea Pearls). If
            you e-mail Ken (the editor of the newsletter) he might be able to let
            you know of any boats for sale.
            If there's any more questions I can answer for you about the
            Dovekie you can e-mail me at gunkholer@...
            Jake Millar