Re: Micro mast raising and lowering

  • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2001
      Malcolm,
      I have owned a MICRO for seven seasons and routinely raise and
      lower my mast to get under two bridges on the way to a friends
      house.I
      also lower the mast a few times throughout the season just to check
      on
      the condition of the masthead light and topping lift attachment
      points etc....
      I do not recall the weight of the mast,but you may want to get
      yourself a piece of lumber(or even a small tree) that weighs about
      the
      same and see for yourself whether or not you can manhandle it about
      keeping in mind that the real mast will be about 23 feet long.In
      other
      words,you must have a reasonable amount of strength in your upper
      body.
      As tempting as it may be,do not close in that free-flooding well
      up foreward otherwise,you will have to hoist your mast up to
      vertical,
      position the heel dead over the hole,and lower it gently.Not
      something
      to attempt in less the absolutely perfect conditions and certainly
      not
      on such a tiny foredeck!I used to own an Elver that required this
      sort
      of thing and it always provided lots of entertainment for the
      onlookers!
      Also,keep the decks dry or else have good anti-skid decks.Secure
      footing is paramount,at least for the few critical seconds it takes
      swing the mast into place.
      And that is the secret to success.........speed!Once you have
      placed the mast heel against the partners,one quick,clean motion of
      raising the mast while lowering the heel into the step then up to
      vertical followed by dropping the fid into place and you're finished!
      A word of caution;do not try this just as a huge powerboat goes
      chortling by or broadside to winds in the small craft warning
      category
      .
      Well,I've just about used up my .02$ worth of advice.With what
      little is left,I would just like to sneak in a rec
      ommendation....build
      the Micro.She's prettier then her bigger sister!!

      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan,absolutely amazed at the amount of recently fallen
      snow,on the banks of the St.Lawrence........

      --- In bolger@egroups.com, m_kirke@y... wrote:
      > I live upstream of three low bridges. To get to the sea I must be
      > able to lower and raise masts easily. I want to build a Micro: is
      > this feasible? I'm aware the Long Micro has mast in tabernacle but
      LM