folding schooner in Aust.

  • wattleweedooseeds@bigpond.com.au
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
      G'day and happy new year to all. I snuck home early from Xmas
      holidays at the beach to get into the glueing and screwing. for'ard
      hull now has decks, mast step, and rails across the floors and along
      the insides for tieing down camping gear, anchors, etc. Most of my
      initial bogging and sanding is done ready for glassing the outside.
      Does anyone have any recomendations as to cloth weights to go with my
      epoxy?Q2 Any suggestions for sealants on the inner hull? I want to
      seal this hull and hoist it into the rafters, then do the woodwork on
      the aft hull before glassing both hulls with lots of volunteers on
      the promise of a beer and a feed from the Barbeque.
      Q3 Would anybody like to share their experiences in regards to
      centerboards and rudders only 1/2" thick? My first boat 25 years ago
      had thicker boards on an 11" scow with 85' of sail. Has anybody had
      one break? I'm willing to trust PB on this but it does'nt hurt to ask.
      On another note, Iwas able to buy some maranti last week that was
      21' long, straight, and only 9.50 Au perlength. At another yard I
      found some excellent Tassie Oak that had been mispriced. Merry Xmas
      to me HO HO HO .Saved nearly 60%.
      Cheers for now Paul Day aus3.
    • Richard Sharp
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
        Great fun reading your emails. I finished my folding schooner in
        1978 (PB gave me sail number 17). When I was learning to sail it, I
        ran aground in the shallow water a lot. Both my bilgeboards got bent
        and cracked and eventually warped as well. I asked Phil B if he
        could suggest a fix. One day, after running aground again, one half
        of a board came flying out of the water next to the boat. I made new
        boards and ran a fiberglass strip along the bottom edge and made sure
        the board was slathered good with epoxy. Those new boards are about
        twenty years old now and are doing great! PB had replied that there
        was a similar warping problem on Dovekie boards. Have fun with your
        FS!
        Rich Sharp
        --- In bolger@egroups.com, wattleweedooseeds@b... wrote:
        > G'day and happy new year to all. I snuck home early from Xmas
        > holidays at the beach to get into the glueing and screwing. for'ard
        > hull now has decks, mast step, and rails across the floors and
        along
        > the insides for tieing down camping gear, anchors, etc. Most of my
        > initial bogging and sanding is done ready for glassing the outside.
        > Does anyone have any recomendations as to cloth weights to go with
        my
        > epoxy?Q2 Any suggestions for sealants on the inner hull? I want to
        > seal this hull and hoist it into the rafters, then do the woodwork
        on
        > the aft hull before glassing both hulls with lots of volunteers on
        > the promise of a beer and a feed from the Barbeque.
        > Q3 Would anybody like to share their experiences in regards to
        > centerboards and rudders only 1/2" thick? My first boat 25 years
        ago
        > had thicker boards on an 11" scow with 85' of sail. Has anybody had
        > one break? I'm willing to trust PB on this but it does'nt hurt to
        ask.
        > On another note, Iwas able to buy some maranti last week that
        was
        > 21' long, straight, and only 9.50 Au perlength. At another yard I
        > found some excellent Tassie Oak that had been mispriced. Merry Xmas
        > to me HO HO HO .Saved nearly 60%.
        > Cheers for now Paul Day aus3.
      • Peter Vanderwaart
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
          > I made new
          > boards and ran a fiberglass strip along the bottom edge and made
          sure
          > the board was slathered good with epoxy.

          I would doubt that epoxy alone would make the boards much stiffer,
          but I think a layer of glass in epoxy would stiffen them alot. You
          could experiment. Of course, you need to make sure they don't get too
          thick for the daggerboard cases.

          Jacques Mertens at www.bateau.com designs 'composite' boats with
          glass over plywood cores. The glass layers are not thick, but are an
          essential part of the construction.

          Peter
        • Richard Sharp
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
            Slathering the epoxy on the board and the glass on the bottom of the
            board were to seal the board edges, trying to keep them from opening
            up the grain when I scraped them running aground. I think that is
            why the first ones warped. I do not think it is necessary to thicken
            the boards, just try not to run aground!
            Rich Sharp