Micro mast raising and lowering

  • m_kirke@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2000
      I live upstream of three low bridges. To get to the sea I must be
      able to lower and raise masts easily. I want to build a Micro: is
      this feasible? I'm aware the Long Micro has mast in tabernacle but LM
      is bigger than I want. Any advice or information?

      Malcolm
    • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2001
        Malcolm,
        I have owned a MICRO for seven seasons and routinely raise and
        lower my mast to get under two bridges on the way to a friends
        house.I
        also lower the mast a few times throughout the season just to check
        on
        the condition of the masthead light and topping lift attachment
        points etc....
        I do not recall the weight of the mast,but you may want to get
        yourself a piece of lumber(or even a small tree) that weighs about
        the
        same and see for yourself whether or not you can manhandle it about
        keeping in mind that the real mast will be about 23 feet long.In
        other
        words,you must have a reasonable amount of strength in your upper
        body.
        As tempting as it may be,do not close in that free-flooding well
        up foreward otherwise,you will have to hoist your mast up to
        vertical,
        position the heel dead over the hole,and lower it gently.Not
        something
        to attempt in less the absolutely perfect conditions and certainly
        not
        on such a tiny foredeck!I used to own an Elver that required this
        sort
        of thing and it always provided lots of entertainment for the
        onlookers!
        Also,keep the decks dry or else have good anti-skid decks.Secure
        footing is paramount,at least for the few critical seconds it takes
        swing the mast into place.
        And that is the secret to success.........speed!Once you have
        placed the mast heel against the partners,one quick,clean motion of
        raising the mast while lowering the heel into the step then up to
        vertical followed by dropping the fid into place and you're finished!
        A word of caution;do not try this just as a huge powerboat goes
        chortling by or broadside to winds in the small craft warning
        category
        .
        Well,I've just about used up my .02$ worth of advice.With what
        little is left,I would just like to sneak in a rec
        ommendation....build
        the Micro.She's prettier then her bigger sister!!

        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan,absolutely amazed at the amount of recently fallen
        snow,on the banks of the St.Lawrence........