Surf, Gypsy or Wind Sprint

  • micwal_va@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2000
      I want to build the highest capacity boat of these 3.

      If someone is well versed in these boats could you give me an idea of
      the major differences in sailing quality, building and capacity.

      Regards,

      Mike W.
    • Ann Romanczuk
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2001
        If you want the highest capacity, build a Windsprint. Bettter yet,
        scale up June Bug 10 or 20 percent. I built a Gypsy many years ago
        and sailed her a lot, and although she has many virtues, large size
        isn't one of them. She's really a very small boat for her length - 2
        adults is OK, three is really crowded and makes her a slug in
        anything less than a strong breeze.

        OTOH, all of these are pretty small boats. If you really want to
        carry a load, there might be better choices.

        BTW, the Rubens Nymph has surprising carrying capacity; 4 pretty big
        adults in relatively smooth water is no strain.