Epoxy mixing

  • James Fuller
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2000
      Hi,

      I have been working in dribbles on my Nutmeg sail boat.  There is lots of mixing
      of small quantities of epoxy involved in the initial frame work.  You all probably know this but I have found that it is a lot easier to mix by weight than by quantity in small batches.  I bought a digital scale on the web and have been using that.  It has a tare setting, so I just set an empty mixing container on it and pour in epoxy.
      for really small batches it reads in grams as well.  One thing that you have to watch out for is that 1 to 1 in volume is not necessarily the same as 1 to 1 in weight.  Your epoxy supplier can tell you what the correct ratio is. It is a lot easier to get an absolutely accurate ratio using the scale.

      James Fuller

    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2000
        James:

        I have found that the cheap pumps that you can get from the resin suppliers are very easy to use.  I also use other two part resins (non boat building) which are too thick for pumps.  For them I have to use a scale, but I sure tried to get a pump to work, because it is so much more convenient.

        Chuck
        Hi,

        I have been working in dribbles on my Nutmeg sail boat.  There is lots of mixing
        of small quantities of epoxy involved in the initial frame work.  You all probably know this but I have found that it is a lot easier to mix by weight than by quantity in small batches.  I bought a digital scale on the web and have been using that.  It has a tare setting, so I just set an empty mixing container on it and pour in epoxy.
        for really small batches it reads in grams as well.  One thing that you have to watch out for is that 1 to 1 in volume is not necessarily the same as 1 to 1 in weight.  Your epoxy supplier can tell you what the correct ratio is. It is a lot easier to get an absolutely accurate ratio using the scale.

        James Fuller
      • Chris Crandall
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
          On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Chuck Leinweber wrote:
          > I have found that the cheap pumps that you can get from the resin
          > suppliers are very easy to use.

          While this is true, I almost had a boat ruined by relying on such pumps.
          They are prone to inaccuracy, and one of my frames is glued with a very
          spongy epoxy saturation, and one of my hull side butt blocks never set up,
          because of the pumps putting out the "wrong" amount.

          I fixed the frame by doubling and tripling the number of ring nails and
          screws, but I had to rip off 12 inches of sides, and start again. I was
          fortunate that this did not mean buying four new sheets of plywood--the
          design had about 14 inches to spare.

          In short--do not trust the cheap pumps. They fail, and your project can
          along with it. Mine almost did.

          Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
          Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
          I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.