Tennessee vs. Idaho

  • E. W. Williams Jr.
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 28, 2000
      I don't know enough about boat desigh to evaluate the differences (below water) of the Tenn and Idaho designs.

      For instance

      - Is the lack of rocker and straight sides an improvement over the Tennessee design, or just an adjustment made for greater speed or whatever?

      - Chuck says that Tennessee stood up well to even 3-4 foot waves.  Will this general sea-worthyness be lost with the Idaho re-design.

      I guess I'm not quite sure whether to regard Idaho as an improvement over the Tennessee design or simply a redesign for different purposes.

      Anybody out there with some ideas on the matter.  (I want to build one or the other for inland-waterway use here on the East coast, but I'm not sure which way to jump.)

      Edgar Williams
    • Stan Muller
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 28, 2000
        Hi Edgar,
        Our friends, "down under" seem to really go for the Tennessee. I
        remember seeing a web site showing quite a number of them, having a
        variety of differing layouts. built to the taste of the owners. Maybe
        someone on the list can fill you in with some URL's
        Hope this helps, Stan, S.G.
      • E. W. Williams Jr.
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 28, 2000
          Stan,

          Yes, I've seen those Aussie pixs (Duckworks is the site, I think.) They've
          done some modification that entail a retractable rudder and some other
          things. Anyone with some experience of those modifications?

          Edgar
        • John Bell
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 28, 2000
            The difference is pretty simple:

            TN is a displacement hull, designed for low power and low speeds. 10-15 HP
            gives 10-12 mph max, cruise at 8 mph. Putting a bigger engine on TN won't
            make it go much faster, it would just make bigger waves.

            ID is a planing hull, designed to operate at higher speeds given adequate
            horsepower. 25-35 HP gives 20+ mph. ID should cruise at a higher speed than
            TN, maybe 12 mph.

            Both boats have straight sides.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2001
              Stan Muller [mailto:smuller@...] wrote:
              > Our friends, "down under" seem to really go for the Tennessee. I
              > remember seeing a web site showing quite a number of them, having a
              > variety of differing layouts. built to the taste of the owners. Maybe
              > someone on the list can fill you in with some URL's

              http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/tenn.htm

              This email and any files transmitted with it from Mi Services
              Group may contain information which is
              privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
              If it is not addressed to you, please immediately contact
              nzpostmaster@... and do not use, disclose,
              copy, distribute or retain any of it without our authority.

            • scotpat@bigpond.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 19, 2001
                Going through the same evaluations myself for next project. The site
                here in Oz with several versions of Tennessee is www.duckflat-
                woodenboats.com.au. They also have a book with many more variations.
                Other things to consider is Tennessee is beamier and lends itself to
                better accomodation, also motor can be hidden in a well.

                Pat Devlin
              • cwgriesel
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 21, 2002
                  What are the major differences between the Tennessee and the Idaho?
                  They seem to be about the same size. In searching around the web
                  I've seen various Tennessees and Idahos mentioned to be anywhere from
                  29 to 31 feet long with 5 to 6 foot beams.

                  Since their size is so similar, what are the major differences
                  between the two designs?

                  If I were to build either one, scaled to be 30 feet long, which one
                  would have the wider beam and the most capacity? Which of the two
                  would handle better?
                • sneakeasy2000
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 21, 2002
                    Hi
                    I built and own a Sneakeasy. The Idaho is a stretched version of
                    Sneakeasy. She has a flat bottom all the way to the stern and a
                    slight rise in the bow. Idaho is 5 feet wide by 31 feet I believe.
                    Tennessee is 29 feet by 6 feet and is a semidisplacement hull in that
                    there is a rise in the stern. My Sneakeasy is 4 feet wide, 26 feet
                    long and is very stable because of the flat bottom and no stern
                    rise. You may want to contact Chuck Leinweber at Duckworks magazine
                    whose has built a Tennessee. She looks very stable and roomy. The
                    Wyoming is a larger version of Sneakeasy by two times. Jeff Blunck
                    is building one, only the second one in the world I think. There is
                    an article and link in http://www.duckworksmagazine.com to see it.

                    Hope this helps.

                    P.S. I love my Sneakeasy

                    Steve Bosquette