[bolger] Re: Circular saw

  • GHC
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 1999
      Pippo,

      Here's what I do: Buy a saw with a big blade and the deepest depth you can
      get, and spend a little bit on a high-quality carbide with a good set to
      the teeth. I wouldn't try fighting with a thin veneer blade. As with a
      table saw, set the blade just past the thickness of the material - about
      1/8"/4 mm. The set of the teeth will cut a kerf plenty wide for any boat
      building radius I've seen. (On 1/4" material, with a good blade, you can
      just about spin the saw in place.)

      I've used the battery-powered 3-4" saws. Just like you think, the power is
      marginal and short-lived, and the blades are very thin to conserve power
      reaulting in no kerf to work your saw in. And, the limited depth is an
      annoyance any time you want to cut lumber.

      You'll get a much better part than by jig saw. By the way, I use a Dewalt;
      a great saw, generally better than the B&D. But, they're ALL good...

      Gregg

      At 01:55 AM 8/8/99 -0700, you wrote:
      >Dear all - I'm willing to buy an hand held circular saw (any
      >boatbuilding book recommends it as one of the best tools) but I can't
      >decide which one to choose. I've located a nice Black and Decker (all
      >metal construction) direct drive sidewinder with a 9" diameter blade,
      >rip fence and bevel scale, which sells for the equivalent of 120 US$.
      >For 100 $ I could buy a Bosch with a significantly smaller blade (40 mm
      >= 1.5" cut depth max). I doubt that any of those would be really good
      >in cutting plywood with respect to my jigsaw. True, it gives somehow
      >wobbly edges, but it is much lighter and it's easy to look at the blade
      >while cutting. My impression is that a big circular saw would be ok to
      >deal with straight cuts on thick stock, but cutting thin plywood would
      >need a very small circular saw (say, 3" or 4" dia. blade). Any
      >thoughts? Thanks - Pippo

      >Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
      >FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
      >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449
      >

      >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

    • Foster Price
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 1999
        Hello Pippo and Group

        I use a 7 1/4 inch saw to do 90% of my plywood cutting, even the curves. Two mistakes I made for a long time were to use a jigsaw (wobbly lines) and to try and cut to the line (always, always cut outside the line and shave the last bit off with a plane or spokeshave for inside curves). I set my skilsaw to the minimum depth necesary to penetrate the ply as this allows tighter curves to be followed.

        Regards - Foster

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 1999
          By far the most common size of circular saw here is 7-1/4" blade. These cut
          plywood very well and can cut gentle curves. Use a blade intended for
          plywood (many teeth) and set the depth of cut so that the blade protrudes
          through the plywood by no more than 1/4".
          There are smaller saws intended for plywood and trim work, but they'd be no
          good at all for heavier work.