Re: [bolger] 12 volt power supply

  • GHC
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000
      Here is another 12 VDC input internal power supply for a PC, very nice:

      http://www.keypower.com/DC_power/DX-200Q.htm ~$125

      Efficiency is rated at 70%, so if your PC wants 100 (of the supply's 200)
      watts, for example, the power supply needs 12 amps, with 3.5 amps wasted
      (heat).

      Keypower also lists a conventional AC->DC PC supply at 70%, so assume it
      will also waste a similar number of battery amps. Good inverters list
      efficiencies from 75% (Trace) to 97% (Invertrix, I don't believe it), and
      cheapo inverters, I think, appear to be 50-60%. I know a little 100 watt
      cheapie I had would keep your coffee warm. Anyway, I would think an
      inverter setup would double your loss.

      Of course, the best plan is laptop, which probably runs on 50 watts anyway.
      The last two I have had, however, conveniently run on 16 and 19 VDC, so
      you are still stuck with an inverter.

      Gregg Carlson