Re: [bolger] Re: long shaft/short shaft

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
      > Trouble arises, though, when I have to go for'ard to
      > catch the mooring, raise an anchor, tie in a reef or
      > whatever. Then it comes far enough out of the water
      > to cause trouble, if there's no heavyweight crew
      > member sitting up back.
      >
      > If I had my life over, I'd go for long shaft.
      >
      > Bill

      So, Bill, you would then position the new motor so that it extended farther
      down into the water than the short shaft motor does? Would you mount the
      new motor on the same transom, or raise it somewhat?

      Chuck
    • Orr, Jamie
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
        Hi also

        Another Chebacco owner here. I don't disagree with you, Bill, but I will
        point out that you keep your boat on a mooring, while I keep mine on a
        trailer. I find that having the motor protected by the skeg is worthwhile.
        I can drive right up to the water's edge without having to worry about the
        motor -- there's usually enough going on at once without having to climb
        into the back and pull that up, too.

        I have had the prop come partially out of the water when I'm at the bow, and
        the boat is pitching in waves. However, I can go up close to the mast
        without problems, possibly because I've also got a 3 gallon remote tank in
        the motor well, helping to hold the stern down.

        On the whole, I wouldn't exchange for a long shaft. You pays your money and
        you takes your chance.

        Jamie Orr

        I have a short shaft OB on my Chebacco and it works
        nicely when the boat is sitting on her lines.

        Trouble arises, though, when I have to go for'ard to
        catch the mooring, raise an anchor, tie in a reef or
        whatever. Then it comes far enough out of the water
        to cause trouble, if there's no heavyweight crew
        member sitting up back.

        If I had my life over, I'd go for long shaft.

        Bill

        Bolger rules!!!
        - no cursing, flaming, trolling, or spamming
        - no flogging dead horses
        - add something: take "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
        - stay on topic and punctuate
        - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts
      • fraser.howell@ns.sympatico.ca
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
          Chebacco owners jumping on Bill. I have a short shaft as well (on my
          Chebacco). The bottom of the prop is about one inch above the bottom
          rudder plate. I guess its just a matter of how you use it, Bill.
          Cheers;
          Fraser Howell
        • David Jost
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
            ok, to take this one step further; Chuck is absolutely right, the
            length of the motor is only relevant to the height of the transom.
            My Diablo has an 18" transon, therefore the 20" shaft motor is
            required. Micro has a 14" high transom (measured up from the drawn
            waterline) therefore, in all but extreme situations a short shaft
            should suffice.
            I admit to have changed my opinion on this after viewing the facts
            as obtained my my building prints. If only our Vice President could
            do the same.

            David Jost "yes, another liberal from Massachusetts"