Re: long shaft/short shaft

  • William Samson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
      Hi,

      My tuppence worth.

      I have a short shaft OB on my Chebacco and it works
      nicely when the boat is sitting on her lines.

      Trouble arises, though, when I have to go for'ard to
      catch the mooring, raise an anchor, tie in a reef or
      whatever. Then it comes far enough out of the water
      to cause trouble, if there's no heavyweight crew
      member sitting up back.

      If I had my life over, I'd go for long shaft.

      Bill

    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
        > Trouble arises, though, when I have to go for'ard to
        > catch the mooring, raise an anchor, tie in a reef or
        > whatever. Then it comes far enough out of the water
        > to cause trouble, if there's no heavyweight crew
        > member sitting up back.
        >
        > If I had my life over, I'd go for long shaft.
        >
        > Bill

        So, Bill, you would then position the new motor so that it extended farther
        down into the water than the short shaft motor does? Would you mount the
        new motor on the same transom, or raise it somewhat?

        Chuck
      • Orr, Jamie
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
          Hi also

          Another Chebacco owner here. I don't disagree with you, Bill, but I will
          point out that you keep your boat on a mooring, while I keep mine on a
          trailer. I find that having the motor protected by the skeg is worthwhile.
          I can drive right up to the water's edge without having to worry about the
          motor -- there's usually enough going on at once without having to climb
          into the back and pull that up, too.

          I have had the prop come partially out of the water when I'm at the bow, and
          the boat is pitching in waves. However, I can go up close to the mast
          without problems, possibly because I've also got a 3 gallon remote tank in
          the motor well, helping to hold the stern down.

          On the whole, I wouldn't exchange for a long shaft. You pays your money and
          you takes your chance.

          Jamie Orr

          I have a short shaft OB on my Chebacco and it works
          nicely when the boat is sitting on her lines.

          Trouble arises, though, when I have to go for'ard to
          catch the mooring, raise an anchor, tie in a reef or
          whatever. Then it comes far enough out of the water
          to cause trouble, if there's no heavyweight crew
          member sitting up back.

          If I had my life over, I'd go for long shaft.

          Bill

          Bolger rules!!!
          - no cursing, flaming, trolling, or spamming
          - no flogging dead horses
          - add something: take "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
          - stay on topic and punctuate
          - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts
        • fraser.howell@ns.sympatico.ca
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
            Chebacco owners jumping on Bill. I have a short shaft as well (on my
            Chebacco). The bottom of the prop is about one inch above the bottom
            rudder plate. I guess its just a matter of how you use it, Bill.
            Cheers;
            Fraser Howell
          • David Jost
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
              ok, to take this one step further; Chuck is absolutely right, the
              length of the motor is only relevant to the height of the transom.
              My Diablo has an 18" transon, therefore the 20" shaft motor is
              required. Micro has a 14" high transom (measured up from the drawn
              waterline) therefore, in all but extreme situations a short shaft
              should suffice.
              I admit to have changed my opinion on this after viewing the facts
              as obtained my my building prints. If only our Vice President could
              do the same.

              David Jost "yes, another liberal from Massachusetts"