Re: [bolger] Re: micro outboard

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2000
      > I was building the motor board for the transom of my Micro today
      > and had the plans right in front of me. The motor that is pictured is
      > a short shaft motor. It is 15" from the base of the motor head to the
      > top of the lower unit (usually the top fin). I then went to the shed
      > and measured what I know is a long shaft motor which is exactly 20"
      > from the base of the motor head to the top of the lower unit (not the
      > prop)to affirm my findings.
      <snip>
      > Happy Sailing / Motoring
      > David Jost "Boston"

      As we all know, the reason for having a long shaft motor is so that in heavy
      swells, the head will not drown in the crests, and the prop will not grab
      air in the troughs. My question is this: Do you mount the long shaft motor
      at the standard depth (keeping the head high above the water) or, on a
      sixteen inch transom (so that the prop is very deep). An argument could be
      made that it would be best to split the difference, although I have never
      heard that point of view expressed.

      Chuck
    • Don and Dianne
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2000
        Chuck,

        I think the real rationale for the long shaft is raise the freeboard of the
        transom and avoid being "pooped" or taking on a lot of water in reverse. In
        a displacement boat, the deep immersion wouldn't make much difference, but
        in a planing boat it would be a tremendous increase in drag and frontal area
        at speed.

        Don Hodges

        > > I was building the motor board for the transom of my Micro today
        > > and had the plans right in front of me. The motor that is pictured is
        > > a short shaft motor. It is 15" from the base of the motor head to the
        > > top of the lower unit (usually the top fin). I then went to the shed
        > > and measured what I know is a long shaft motor which is exactly 20"
        > > from the base of the motor head to the top of the lower unit (not the
        > > prop)to affirm my findings.
        > <snip>
        > > Happy Sailing / Motoring
        > > David Jost "Boston"
        >
        > As we all know, the reason for having a long shaft motor is so that in
        heavy
        > swells, the head will not drown in the crests, and the prop will not grab
        > air in the troughs. My question is this: Do you mount the long shaft
        motor
        > at the standard depth (keeping the head high above the water) or, on a
        > sixteen inch transom (so that the prop is very deep). An argument could
        be
        > made that it would be best to split the difference, although I have never
        > heard that point of view expressed.
        >
        > Chuck

        > - no flogging dead horses
        > - stay on topic and punctuate

      • Langmuir
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
          A short shaft 7 1/2 horse Honda was ideal for my Long Micro Thylacine until
          it got stolen. The stern wave on Micro/Long Micros comes right up to the
          transom bottom and ensures that the prop is well immersed.
          Regards, Gavin Langmuir.