Re: micro outboard

  • David Jost
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2000
      Col,
      At the risk of beating a dead horse, I will share some info that
      I discovered today.
      I was building the motor board for the transom of my Micro today
      and had the plans right in front of me. The motor that is pictured is
      a short shaft motor. It is 15" from the base of the motor head to the
      top of the lower unit (usually the top fin). I then went to the shed
      and measured what I know is a long shaft motor which is exactly 20"
      from the base of the motor head to the top of the lower unit (not the
      prop)to affirm my findings.
      As pictured, the short shaft motor will put the prop in the
      water right in the middle of the rudder and 9" below the water line.
      If you had a long shaft motor this would then become 14" below the
      waterline and possibly beneath the rudder. If this were the case,
      you would need to be careful running in shoal water that you don't
      bend a prop. With the short shaft motor, the keel would scrape
      first.

      Happy Sailing / Motoring
      David Jost "Boston"

      > This question has probably been asked before, but is a short shaft
      > outboard long enough for micro?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Col
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2000
        > I was building the motor board for the transom of my Micro today
        > and had the plans right in front of me. The motor that is pictured is
        > a short shaft motor. It is 15" from the base of the motor head to the
        > top of the lower unit (usually the top fin). I then went to the shed
        > and measured what I know is a long shaft motor which is exactly 20"
        > from the base of the motor head to the top of the lower unit (not the
        > prop)to affirm my findings.
        <snip>
        > Happy Sailing / Motoring
        > David Jost "Boston"

        As we all know, the reason for having a long shaft motor is so that in heavy
        swells, the head will not drown in the crests, and the prop will not grab
        air in the troughs. My question is this: Do you mount the long shaft motor
        at the standard depth (keeping the head high above the water) or, on a
        sixteen inch transom (so that the prop is very deep). An argument could be
        made that it would be best to split the difference, although I have never
        heard that point of view expressed.

        Chuck
      • Don and Dianne
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2000
          Chuck,

          I think the real rationale for the long shaft is raise the freeboard of the
          transom and avoid being "pooped" or taking on a lot of water in reverse. In
          a displacement boat, the deep immersion wouldn't make much difference, but
          in a planing boat it would be a tremendous increase in drag and frontal area
          at speed.

          Don Hodges

          > > I was building the motor board for the transom of my Micro today
          > > and had the plans right in front of me. The motor that is pictured is
          > > a short shaft motor. It is 15" from the base of the motor head to the
          > > top of the lower unit (usually the top fin). I then went to the shed
          > > and measured what I know is a long shaft motor which is exactly 20"
          > > from the base of the motor head to the top of the lower unit (not the
          > > prop)to affirm my findings.
          > <snip>
          > > Happy Sailing / Motoring
          > > David Jost "Boston"
          >
          > As we all know, the reason for having a long shaft motor is so that in
          heavy
          > swells, the head will not drown in the crests, and the prop will not grab
          > air in the troughs. My question is this: Do you mount the long shaft
          motor
          > at the standard depth (keeping the head high above the water) or, on a
          > sixteen inch transom (so that the prop is very deep). An argument could
          be
          > made that it would be best to split the difference, although I have never
          > heard that point of view expressed.
          >
          > Chuck

          > - no flogging dead horses
          > - stay on topic and punctuate

        • Langmuir
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
            A short shaft 7 1/2 horse Honda was ideal for my Long Micro Thylacine until
            it got stolen. The stern wave on Micro/Long Micros comes right up to the
            transom bottom and ensures that the prop is well immersed.
            Regards, Gavin Langmuir.