12 volt power supply

  • fung42@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2000
      Thanks very much to all members who answered my question. Think that
      I have enough information to make a decision.
      Regards
    • GHC
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000
        Here is another 12 VDC input internal power supply for a PC, very nice:

        http://www.keypower.com/DC_power/DX-200Q.htm ~$125

        Efficiency is rated at 70%, so if your PC wants 100 (of the supply's 200)
        watts, for example, the power supply needs 12 amps, with 3.5 amps wasted
        (heat).

        Keypower also lists a conventional AC->DC PC supply at 70%, so assume it
        will also waste a similar number of battery amps. Good inverters list
        efficiencies from 75% (Trace) to 97% (Invertrix, I don't believe it), and
        cheapo inverters, I think, appear to be 50-60%. I know a little 100 watt
        cheapie I had would keep your coffee warm. Anyway, I would think an
        inverter setup would double your loss.

        Of course, the best plan is laptop, which probably runs on 50 watts anyway.
        The last two I have had, however, conveniently run on 16 and 19 VDC, so
        you are still stuck with an inverter.

        Gregg Carlson