Re: micro outboard

  • David Jost
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2000
      Col,

      I guess the answer depends on where you are planning to sail.
      Lakes, and small bays should be ok for the short shaft motor, but I
      think if you are going out on larger bodies of water you will be
      happier with the 20" shaft, as you will guarantee that the prop will
      bite solid water 95% of the time.
      One advantage that you get with Micro is that the motor is in
      the middle of the transom making it equally effective on either tack
      as you transition from sail to motor and back again.
      I just read that OMC (Johnson and Evinrude) have just released a
      3.5 hp motor with a Forward, Neutral, and Reverse. It weighs 30 lbs.
      and is about $800 US. Sounds like a great Micro motor to me!

      David Jost
      Not quite as cold as Montreal, but the water in the ponds is
      solid today. Boston

      > This question has probably been asked before, but is a short shaft
      > outboard long enough for micro?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Col
    • David Jost
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2000
        Col,
        At the risk of beating a dead horse, I will share some info that
        I discovered today.
        I was building the motor board for the transom of my Micro today
        and had the plans right in front of me. The motor that is pictured is
        a short shaft motor. It is 15" from the base of the motor head to the
        top of the lower unit (usually the top fin). I then went to the shed
        and measured what I know is a long shaft motor which is exactly 20"
        from the base of the motor head to the top of the lower unit (not the
        prop)to affirm my findings.
        As pictured, the short shaft motor will put the prop in the
        water right in the middle of the rudder and 9" below the water line.
        If you had a long shaft motor this would then become 14" below the
        waterline and possibly beneath the rudder. If this were the case,
        you would need to be careful running in shoal water that you don't
        bend a prop. With the short shaft motor, the keel would scrape
        first.

        Happy Sailing / Motoring
        David Jost "Boston"

        > This question has probably been asked before, but is a short shaft
        > outboard long enough for micro?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Col
      • Chuck Leinweber
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2000
          > I was building the motor board for the transom of my Micro today
          > and had the plans right in front of me. The motor that is pictured is
          > a short shaft motor. It is 15" from the base of the motor head to the
          > top of the lower unit (usually the top fin). I then went to the shed
          > and measured what I know is a long shaft motor which is exactly 20"
          > from the base of the motor head to the top of the lower unit (not the
          > prop)to affirm my findings.
          <snip>
          > Happy Sailing / Motoring
          > David Jost "Boston"

          As we all know, the reason for having a long shaft motor is so that in heavy
          swells, the head will not drown in the crests, and the prop will not grab
          air in the troughs. My question is this: Do you mount the long shaft motor
          at the standard depth (keeping the head high above the water) or, on a
          sixteen inch transom (so that the prop is very deep). An argument could be
          made that it would be best to split the difference, although I have never
          heard that point of view expressed.

          Chuck
        • Don and Dianne
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2000
            Chuck,

            I think the real rationale for the long shaft is raise the freeboard of the
            transom and avoid being "pooped" or taking on a lot of water in reverse. In
            a displacement boat, the deep immersion wouldn't make much difference, but
            in a planing boat it would be a tremendous increase in drag and frontal area
            at speed.

            Don Hodges

            > > I was building the motor board for the transom of my Micro today
            > > and had the plans right in front of me. The motor that is pictured is
            > > a short shaft motor. It is 15" from the base of the motor head to the
            > > top of the lower unit (usually the top fin). I then went to the shed
            > > and measured what I know is a long shaft motor which is exactly 20"
            > > from the base of the motor head to the top of the lower unit (not the
            > > prop)to affirm my findings.
            > <snip>
            > > Happy Sailing / Motoring
            > > David Jost "Boston"
            >
            > As we all know, the reason for having a long shaft motor is so that in
            heavy
            > swells, the head will not drown in the crests, and the prop will not grab
            > air in the troughs. My question is this: Do you mount the long shaft
            motor
            > at the standard depth (keeping the head high above the water) or, on a
            > sixteen inch transom (so that the prop is very deep). An argument could
            be
            > made that it would be best to split the difference, although I have never
            > heard that point of view expressed.
            >
            > Chuck

            > - no flogging dead horses
            > - stay on topic and punctuate

          • Langmuir
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
              A short shaft 7 1/2 horse Honda was ideal for my Long Micro Thylacine until
              it got stolen. The stern wave on Micro/Long Micros comes right up to the
              transom bottom and ensures that the prop is well immersed.
              Regards, Gavin Langmuir.